Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBW30 Drops WiFi Connection

Jamie0691
Aspirant

RBW30 Drops WiFi Connection

Purchased a second hand RBR40 and RBW30 last year which has been solid as a rock, however recentley I am seeing an issue (not very common, say around once every 4-5 weeks) where the devices connected to the RBW30 will drop internet connection, the connection status on the Netgear app shows the RBW30 as disconnected (amber light) then it will reconnect after a few minutes or after a reboot of the device.

Checking the firmware I have V2.6.2.104 on the RBR40 and V2.6.2.2 on the RBW30 (however this shows update failed on the firmware page but shows that level of firmware). 

I can't see anything in the logs to suggest why this is happening, also with it being intermitent it makes this harder to investigate. 

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBW30 Drops WiFi Connection

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 5
Jamie0691
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The house (1st and 2nd floor) is ~71SqM, the router is downstairs at the front of the property and the RBW30 is upstairs in the middle of the property, over 30ft. 

I had changed the WiFi channels to make sure it didn't clash with neighbours, attached is a scan of the WiFi networks around me, the blue highlighted are the Netgear devices I own, the ones above the blue I believe are devices that are attached to my network. So only 2 other WiFi networks around me. 

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you move the RBW a bit closer to the RBR? 

Try some of the suggestions as well mentioned in the experience link...

Message 4 of 5
Jamie0691
Aspirant

Hi thanks for the reply again, so I have applied the recommended configs, will see how it goes. If that doesn't resolve will look at moving it closer to the router.

Thank you again for your feedback Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7