Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBW30 - Firmware 2.3.0.4

stevefxp
Apprentice

RBW30 - Firmware 2.3.0.4

I am trying to download version 2.3..0.4 firmware for the RBW30 but it does not download completely. I get a .chk file in the zip from each download location I can find, which means the zip is not complete. Does anyone have a complete download of this version?

Model: RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 1 of 42

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different browser? IE11 or FF or Opera? 

You can try to rename the file extension to from .chk to .img and see if this works.  

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 42

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@stevefxp wrote:

I am trying to download version 2.3..0.4 firmware for the RBW30 but it does not download completely. I get a .chk file in the zip from each download location I can find, which means the zip is not complete. Does anyone have a complete download of this version?

I just tested and it downloaded perfectly. Have you tried a different internet browser? or computer? Clear cookies/cache/etc? 

Message 2 of 42
ekhalil
Master

I had no problem to download the zip file from the Support site.

I have it in my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6y2pguadazyt146/RBW30-V2.3.0.4_1.0.5.zip?dl=0

Message 3 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

the .chk file is correct. If you were able to unpack the .zip file and you found the .chk file, this means the .zip file completed the download correctly. Use IE11 or FF web brower too apply the FW update. 

Message 4 of 42
stevefxp
Apprentice

This is weird bc the browser based tool tells me it needs a .img file when I try to upload the .chk file.
Message 5 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different browser? IE11 or FF or Opera? 

You can try to rename the file extension to from .chk to .img and see if this works.  

Message 6 of 42
stevefxp
Apprentice

Seems that renaming it worked!
Message 7 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 42
Sxottie
Aspirant

RBW30 Firmware download is corrupt.  The internal IMG update file is in a CHK format.  I have downloaded the same file with two different browsers.  Please update ZIP fileRBW30.jpg

Message 9 of 42
Sxottie
Aspirant

Your file is also corrupt.  Needs to be an IMG file, not CHK.

Message 10 of 42
Sxottie
Aspirant

I tried changing the file extension and it said it was the wrong firmware.

Message 11 of 42

@Sxottie wrote:

Your file is also corrupt.  Needs to be an IMG file, not CHK.

The RBW30-V2.3.0.4_1.0.5 zip file I retreived contained RBW30-V2.3.0.4_1.0.5.chk.

Message 12 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working.

Ya, the file isn't corrupt, the file extension just needs to be changed. NG should be catching this to ensure the files are of the correct type for each model.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

@stevefxp wrote:
Seems that renaming it worked!

Message 13 of 42
joeyv
Aspirant

I thought it was strange that the file had a chk extenstion, but I was able to update the firmware without changing the extenstion. Worked fine w/o rename

Message 14 of 42

@joeyv wrote:

I thought it was strange that the file had a chk extenstion, but I was able to update the firmware without changing the extenstion. Worked fine w/o rename

Indeed. Here too.

Netgear wobbles between chk and img – just read the literature –  both of which can baffle users who do not follow the instructions and try to open the file.

Message 15 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if this a browser handling issue rather then a FW or device issue. 

Message 16 of 42
Vegasdealer
Tutor

Thanks for posting this. Tried to update RBW30 via the app which says firmware is up to date, but shows V2.2.1.210  in the app and not V2.3.04 as well online on my iMac and won't update.  Tried  changing the file name to an img file, but didn't work on  Mac OS  MOJAVE 10.14.3 

Hopefully, Netgear will change the format, as at lost as what to do.

Message 17 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using FF or Opera browser on your iMac PC to send the file. The file doesn't need to be changed.

What is the current FW version loaded on the RBW? 

@Vegasdealer wrote:

Thanks for posting this. Tried to update RBW30 via the app which says firmware is up to date, but shows V2.2.1.210  in the app and not V2.3.04 as well online on my iMac and won't update.  Tried  changing the file name to an img file, but didn't work on  Mac OS  MOJAVE 10.14.3 

Hopefully, Netgear will change the format, as at lost as what to do.

Message 18 of 42
Vegasdealer
Tutor

Thanks for your reply and don't know what FF is, nor do I have Opera, but guess could try with that. Customers should not have to go thru loops in updating the firmware. Have the Netgear wireless router, etc for over a year and always difficult when updating or when they changed the app.  If I had to do it again, would not buy anything from Netgear. Am just a casual home user.

Thank you.

Message 19 of 42
plemans
Guru

Message 20 of 42
Vegasdealer
Tutor

Netgear does not make upgrading firmware that easy.  Posted in this feed that I was having trouble in updating in ios and mac os. Both the app on the iPhone and online in my Netgear account shows firmware" "up to date" but not showing the correct firmware both in the app and online.

This sucks period, tried to update via FF and the results are the same,  " up to date", but still shows old firmware. 

Message 21 of 42
Vegasdealer
Tutor

Thank you, Tried it and the result is the same. See last post.

In plain English it sucks in trying to update, should not be that difficult. Maybe they need to learn something from Apple. 🙂

Message 22 of 42

Your picture shows that you are trying to do an automated update from the FTP server. It seems that Netgear has yet to put the newest firmware on that. This explains why you see  "No new firmware version available".

If you look at the screen you posted, you will see that there is a "Manual Update" option. That is the way to go.

Orbiupdate.PNG

Retrieve the firmware file for your RBR40, unpack it to get whichever file it offers (chk or img). Put the file where you can find it.

Then click the Browse button above. Find your firmware. Click Upload.

By the way messing around with different browsers isn't likely to change anything.

Message 23 of 42
Vegasdealer
Tutor

Thank you so much!  Had no idea that was the problem, before did download a .chg file but could not open it on my iMac. Hopefully, it will be updated online as well as in the app. Funny, Netgear sends out an email that an update is available and then your unable to do it, least as far as am concerned.

Again, thank you so much and I'll try checking again in the app and online later.

Message 24 of 42

@Vegasdealer wrote:

Thank you so much!  Had no idea that was the problem, before did download a .chg file but could not open it on my iMac.

chk files are there for you to open.

You download a zip file and extract the chk file. I gather that iMacs have an unzip feature built in.

You simply have to upload that in the way I explained above.

Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7