Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBW30 Satellites keep dropping internet, but remaining connected to devices and router

PeterRose
Follower

RBW30 Satellites keep dropping internet, but remaining connected to devices and router

I have the Orbi RBR40 w/ 2 RBW30 Satellites (RBK33).  The satellites are constantly dropping the internet connection, several times a day. When connected to the main router, I have no problems.  When walking around the house, as a device switches between router and satellites, the internet drops.  When stationarily connected to a satellite with a strong signal (and 200mbps+ speeds), the internet still keeps dropping every few minutes to hours.  When the internet drops, I can still connect to the routers/satellites via internal IP address.  

I am on the latest firmware 2.3.5.34 for the router RBR40 and firmware 2.3.5.6 for the satellites.  This is driving me mad as I've had to turn off wifi calling since my calls keep dropping, and whenever I'm using a device like a cell phone, I've had to just turn of wifi, which defeats the purpose of a mesh network.  

For reference, the house is appx 1800 sq ft. I have the primary router in the basement and I have the satellites placed on the 1st and 2nd floor.  The satellites are connected to the router with a "good" backhaul signal. 

Based on reading other people with similar issues, I've changed the following settings in the router:

(Unchecked) Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence

(Checked) Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

(Unchecked) Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
(Unchecked) Enable MU-MIMO
(Unchecked) Enable Fast Roaming

Please help as I am extremely frustrated with this almost $300 purchase that conveniently just ran out of its limited warranty period. 

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBW30 Satellites keep dropping internet, but remaining connected to devices and router

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try changing the following:

(un-checked) Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

(checked) Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
(checked) Enable MU-MIMO
(checked) Enable Fast Roaming

@PeterRose wrote:

I have the Orbi RBR40 w/ 2 RBW30 Satellites (RBK33).  The satellites are constantly dropping the internet connection, several times a day. When connected to the main router, I have no problems.  When walking around the house, as a device switches between router and satellites, the internet drops.  When stationarily connected to a satellite with a strong signal (and 200mbps+ speeds), the internet still keeps dropping every few minutes to hours.  When the internet drops, I can still connect to the routers/satellites via internal IP address.  

I am on the latest firmware 2.3.5.34 for the router RBR40 and firmware 2.3.5.6 for the satellites.  This is driving me mad as I've had to turn off wifi calling since my calls keep dropping, and whenever I'm using a device like a cell phone, I've had to just turn of wifi, which defeats the purpose of a mesh network.  

For reference, the house is appx 1800 sq ft. I have the primary router in the basement and I have the satellites placed on the 1st and 2nd floor.  The satellites are connected to the router with a "good" backhaul signal. 

Based on reading other people with similar issues, I've changed the following settings in the router:

(Unchecked) Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence

(Checked) Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

(Unchecked) Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
(Unchecked) Enable MU-MIMO
(Unchecked) Enable Fast Roaming

Please help as I am extremely frustrated with this almost $300 purchase that conveniently just ran out of its limited warranty period. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7