Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBx850 - Modem - swith - router/satalite/etc

rdt40ish
Aspirant

RBx850 - Modem - swith - router/satalite/etc

i just upgraded to 1 gig fiber from Spectrum and tehy installed a modem. my home has a central "media" box that outside lines come into (cable). from there i have home runs to all my rooms for cat5 needs. i plugged my modem into a "switch" and from there to my Orbi router, orbi satelite, other cat5 needs.

based on a  video i just saw, this should not work. seems to be ok for now. thoughts? getting 1 gig speeds. wondering if i should change my switch to a similar(TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router | Up to 4 Gigabit WAN Ports ) and change my orbi to "bridge"... thoughts?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@rdt40ish wrote:

i just upgraded to 1 gig fiber from Spectrum and tehy installed a modem. my home has a central "media" box that outside lines come into (cable). from there i have home runs to all my rooms for cat5 needs. i plugged my modem into a "switch" and from there to my Orbi router, orbi satelite, other cat5 needs.

based on a  video i just saw, this should not work. seems to be ok for now. thoughts? getting 1 gig speeds. wondering if i should change my switch to a similar(TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router | Up to 4 Gigabit WAN Ports ) and change my orbi to "bridge"... thoughts?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Correct. There could be issues with this configuration.  (Router or Access Point mode makes no difference.)  In essence, the Orbi router expects to see the internet on the WAN port and satellites on LAN ports.  With this configuration both internet and satellites appear on the WAN port.  If this is working for you, then you're good. (But there have been numerous posts over the years from people with complaints about this setup.)

The most obvious solution is to move the Orbi router to this media location and connect it directly to the modem and then to the switch.

If putting the router in the media location reduces WiFi coverage, one user used a pair of VLAN switches to make the single ethernet cable from the media hub to his office service both the WAN and LAN sides of his Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Disabling-automatic-subnet-reconfig/m-p/2031354#M110164 

A more costly solution would be to install a second ethernet cable from the Orbi router location to the media hub. (This is often impractical.)

Purchasing another router that will connect directly to the switch and putting the Obin in AP mode does not address the root of the problem (Internet and satellites on the Orbi WAN port).  If it turns out there are issues with this setup, the adding another router is not likely to solve them.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@rdt40ish wrote:

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7