Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RE: Additional Orbi Satellite availability in UK?

Bing-Stroller
Luminary

RE: Additional Orbi Satellite availability in UK?

As the previous thread has been marked as having been solved (Which it was at that time) and so may not be updated may I request the following?

Does anyone have information / dates on when we can purchase an additional Orbi Satellite in the UK ?

Appreciate it was earmarked for early Q2 so presume we must be getting closer to an availability date.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 15
MisterMR
Guide

My local PC World and Maplin in-store geeks both said it was being pushed back to late Q3 2017... but I have to say, this wasn't the most confidence-inspiring of responses I'd ever heard as they sounded remarkably like the previous answers I got from them last year, which was "January 2017". And then in January 2017, I got "Q2... maybe earlier if possible".

I've actually ordered one from the US... shouldn't be too difficult to get a compatible UK plug 12v 3.5A power supply for it... and then manually add it to my existing Orbi router. It arrives in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how I get on.

Message 2 of 15
MisterMR
Guide

Okay, so forget my last post... cancelled US order as it won't arrive here in the UK until August 2017. Hmmm... "Me thinks we're all being given the run-around..."

Message 3 of 15
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Thanks for that MisterMR as I had also considered a purchase from the US but if the wait time is that long it's a nonstarter for me too.

As I stated on another post my intention was to have an additional satellite in the room in the garden. ( it has Sat/Cable TV, Sonos, Echo and Fire TV so internet is a requirement and I took the plunge having been led to believe the option to purchase an additional satellite would be made available)

My latest plan is to look at a Warehouse Deal / Openbox from Amazon. Its a risk but with the new price around £325 (myself having bought early and paid £399 the overall cost is getting beyond a joke)

At the moment, a Used- very good kit is about £300 but currently Amazon have a promotion of 20% off, reducing the cost to around £240. {Of course there is no guarantee how much an additional Satellite will cost or even whether or not it will actually be released}

If I could offload the router it would bring down the cost yet again. BUT, not being a big fan of eBay my options are limited. Orbi doesn't appear on Gumtree and has not appeared at CEX yet. To be honest who really wants to buy a standalone Orbi router. Chocolate - fireguard springs to mind.

So I will spend the weekend trying to convince myself to take the plunge. The additional 20% offer runs until 23:59 16 May 2017 so will have to make the decision before then.

Appreciate if anyone has any ideas how to offload the router ?

Thanks for listening Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
MisterMR
Guide

It's a shame the router (RBK50) can't be switched to function as a satellite (RBS50) as that would solve all our problems.

Hmmm... now there's an idea. I wonder if that's even technically possible... It kinda sounds like it should just be a firmware update away...

Message 5 of 15
ChrisF_UK
Initiate

Any further updates on when we can buy a further satellite in the U.K. so that our very expensive purchases will work properly?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 15
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

It’s the not knowing when it will be available that is the hardest, putting things on hold, just hanging on, in the hope that a date is announced.

People have invested a lot of money in this system and I personally think we deserve better treatment than this.

At the moment, we are still working on the info provided by DarrenM that it would be released Q3, (having been deferred from Early Q2 2017)

That covers anywhere from July through September 2017! (Worldwide Orbi WiFi System released Q3 2016)

I think it is about time Netgear came clean on this one and gave a more accurate timescale.

Even saying it will not be released before such and such a date would be useful.

You cannot expect people to keep waiting indefinitely.

Can we please have an update or more information

Thanks.

Message 7 of 15
MisterMR
Guide

Just called a couple of UK disrtributors and the best I got was "they're due in on the 25th July 2017..." (that was broadbandbuyer.com).

Oh well... we've waited this long...

Message 8 of 15
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

A combination of what is happening with my own system and reading numerous threads and posts I have come to the following conclusion.

It is highly unlikely that Netgear will release the additional satellite in the UK while the current backhaul problems exist, and there are already reports that the current Beta fails to resolve the issue.

The fact that Netgear have already had to postpone its release speaks volumes.

Sorry that I cannot share your optimism of 25 July – there have been numerous requests on here for a release date and the only response from Netgear has been Q2 then Q3.

Surely if Netgear had set a date they would be keen to tell us here.

We shall see...

Message 9 of 15
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Updated

I have just read a post by Marshymallow on another thread and he is reporting very positive results from the latest Beta FW.

it looks as though we may possibly be seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Message 10 of 15
MisterMR
Guide

"Late July to early August UK release date. £229.00 including VAT..." seems to be the common reply from most retailers I've contacted...

Message 11 of 15
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Good news,

We could be getting there !

The addition of a pricing structure surely must indicate progress in the right direction.

Thanks for the update

( I have tried Netgear on both Twitter and Facebook but they wont be drawn on saying anything other than

" There is no ETA at the moment. Please check back for an update " )

Message 12 of 15
MisterMR
Guide

£199 currently listed as a pre-order on Amazon...

Message 13 of 15
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Yeah, Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Thanks for the heads-up

Excellent News

Message 14 of 15
MisterMR
Guide

I've got one on pre-order at Amazon but the availability date has been pushed back twice now. Currently showing up as 22nd August...

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7