Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RKB50 router light is purple (not the sattelite)

michel1918
Tutor

RKB50 router light is purple (not the sattelite)

In the 3 days I own the RKB50 the router is having a purple light, which I understand means that there is no internet connection.

However, there is an internet connection because everyone in the house is streaming and browsing for the past 3 days.

I've set it up in AP mode.

What else does this color mean?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19
ekhalil
Master

You probably have the ISP Router connected to Orbi's LAN port? In AP Mode you can have the ISP router connected to either the WAN or LAN ports since these are -somehow- bridged in AP mode. However, using the LAN port for ISP Router will cause the router to light magenta.

Please move the cable to the yellow WAN port if you don't like the beatiful magenta light. 🙂

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The Orbi operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

@michel1918 wrote:

In the 3 days I own the RKB50 the router is having a purple light, which I understand means that there is no internet connection.

However, there is an internet connection because everyone in the house is streaming and browsing for the past 3 days.

I've set it up in AP mode.

What else does this color mean?

Message 3 of 19
michel1918
Tutor

I already had it attached to the yellow port.

I looked again at the docs and read that purple blinking means no internet connection, but I have a steady purple light.

Message 4 of 19
michel1918
Tutor

I have a Arcadyan experia box V8.

Firmware is V2.1.4.16

I don't think checking all the cables and other checks you suggest is necessary; I have a very steady internet connection via the cable and via my previous wifi also no problems.

So the fact that the router signales purple is imo something in the router, not in the other parts.

I also noticed that steady purple ring on the router is not one of the situations in the https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean documentation?

Message 5 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@michel1918 wrote:

I already had it attached to the yellow port.

I looked again at the docs and read that purple blinking means no internet connection, but I have a steady purple light.

The router seems -for some reason- not sense the cable in the WAN port. Can you please try to swap the cable with another.

Message 6 of 19
michel1918
Tutor

Swapped cable. No result.

Also still didn't find any clue what a SOLID purple light means

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Was found in the link provided:

"Solid magenta. Your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta for 10 seconds if it is unable to obtain the IP address from the router."

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 

@michel1918 wrote:

Swapped cable. No result.

Also still didn't find any clue what a SOLID purple light means

Message 8 of 19
michel1918
Tutor

I have a Arcadyan experia box V8. It's a modem, not sure if it is a router too....

Message 9 of 19
michel1918
Tutor

about the "Solid magenta. Your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta for 10 seconds if it is unable to obtain the IP address from the router."

This is at the sattelite documentation, not the router.

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

IT may apply to the router as well. 

What happenns if you turn OFF The modem and Orbi router. Then power ON the Modem, let it sync, then power ON the Orbi RBR? 

Is this the modem you have? 

https://www.telfort.nl/persoonlijk/service/specificaties-experia-box-v8.htm

If so, it has a built in router already. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 11 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@michel1918 wrote:

about the "Solid magenta. Your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta for 10 seconds if it is unable to obtain the IP address from the router."

This is at the sattelite documentation, not the router.

My Orbi is in Router Mode, when I pull out the internet cable coming from the modem then I will get a solid magenta ring light on the router.

Message 12 of 19
michel1918
Tutor

Yes, that's the one I have.

Option 1 and 2 sound a little too technical for me, option 3 is the one I already did, but I didn't "disable all wifi radios on the modem". Does it matter whether the modem wifi is still on or not?

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes ALL wifi on the modem needs to be disbled. After disabling, power OFF the modem and Orbi for 30 seconds, then power ON the modem, then power ON the Orbi. The Orbi in AP mode should be WHITE on top first, then Pink, then go BLUE then OFF if its connected correctly. 

@michel1918 wrote:

Yes, that's the one I have.

Option 1 and 2 sound a little too technical for me, option 3 is the one I already did, but I didn't "disable all wifi radios on the modem". Does it matter whether the modem wifi is still on or not?

Message 14 of 19
michel1918
Tutor

Hi,

Thanks for all your help, but this product is going back to the store.

Way too many things to do before I get it working, also too picky on the distance between the sattelite and the router.

Thanks again for the help.

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 16 of 19
michel1918
Tutor

Thinking about buying a 3-node setup, and then setting it up with a wired backhaul.....

Message 17 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@michel1918 wrote:

Thinking about buying a 3-node setup, and then setting it up with a wired backhaul.....

Good choice! 🙂

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure you use non managed, non green ethernet switches if you choose to go wired back haul with lan switches in the mix. Smiley Wink

@michel1918 wrote:

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7