Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RSSI and performance

Hanseman
Tutor

RSSI and performance

So, I have now installed the Orbi package with base station and one satellite. The distance is quite far between the devices but I have measured great speed and the satellite showed up the blue light during setup. 

I have now tested the Telnet information and it gives me:

"backhaul rssi" : "-67",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "975",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "780"

I have read that -67 dBm is supposed to be very good but at the same time minimum level for steaming video, VoIP etc.

So my question is, now when Netgear provide daisy chain, if it is an idea of buying another satellite to place in between? Would that even improve the connection strength to the satellite most far away?

What say you? Smiley Happy

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Real world performance is more important to look at than just what the #'s tell you.

Hard wire into the satellite and speed test it. what speeds do you get? If its enough to cover all that you do, then you'll be good. If its not enough to stream or you're saturating the bandwidth, then add in a satellite. 

Numbers are good for general estimates but testing is needed to fully optimize because many different factors control how well wireless works. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Real world performance is more important to look at than just what the #'s tell you.

Hard wire into the satellite and speed test it. what speeds do you get? If its enough to cover all that you do, then you'll be good. If its not enough to stream or you're saturating the bandwidth, then add in a satellite. 

Numbers are good for general estimates but testing is needed to fully optimize because many different factors control how well wireless works. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7