Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Range of Orbi

Nigel007
Aspirant

Range of Orbi

I was recommended this product to provide WiFi to my garden office located 40 metres away from the main house, behind a wall.  Does anyone have any experience of it working in this type of environment please?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

I have been able to get a usable signal up to 500' away outside my house. That was with a laptop, on the 2.4 GHz band, and through one layer of wall/windows.

It's hard to say exactly what your results will be. I would not expect great results.  I would estimate you might be able to get a low-speed connection (10 Mbps or so) on the 2.4 GHz band. A phone or tablet might have more trouble than a laptop or desktop.

If you are thinking about putting the Orbi Router in the main house and an Orbi satellite in the garden office, I would not expect the 5GHz backhaul to get a good connection at that distance.

You could try it, and keep Orbi in the house if it doesn't reach the office.  But your best bet would be to run an Ethernet wire out to the office.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

I have been able to get a usable signal up to 500' away outside my house. That was with a laptop, on the 2.4 GHz band, and through one layer of wall/windows.

It's hard to say exactly what your results will be. I would not expect great results.  I would estimate you might be able to get a low-speed connection (10 Mbps or so) on the 2.4 GHz band. A phone or tablet might have more trouble than a laptop or desktop.

If you are thinking about putting the Orbi Router in the main house and an Orbi satellite in the garden office, I would not expect the 5GHz backhaul to get a good connection at that distance.

You could try it, and keep Orbi in the house if it doesn't reach the office.  But your best bet would be to run an Ethernet wire out to the office.

Message 2 of 3
Nigel007
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice, I plan to use the 2.4 GHz band and keep the satellite in the main house.  Otherwise I will lay some Cat6.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7