Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Raspberry pi 3 can’t see Orbi Network

Enllorvall
Aspirant

Raspberry pi 3 can’t see Orbi Network

Hi. I have a Raspberry Pi model 3 with Libreelec SO on it. When I try to connect by wifi to the network generated by my Orbi system, I can’t see the network’s SSID on the raspberry. I can connect without issues to my former router and my former 2,4 network (not to the 5ghz). I read in a previous post of this community that, and I quote: “when forcing the 2.4Ghz Channel instead of using "Automatic" - the Raspberry Pi were able to see the wireless SSID.”

But I don’t know where to apply that change, on the orbi settings or on the raspberry settings. I was looking for this in both places but didn’t find it. 

Thanks for your help 

Enrique

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Raspberry pi 3 can’t see Orbi Network

I think that the issue is that the Pi can only see the lower channels in the 2.4 GHz band.
In the Wireless Settings in Orbi please set the 2.4 GHz to channel 1 or 6 and see if the Pi will see it.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Temporary disable the 5Ghz SSID broadcast under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. 

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@Enllorvall wrote:

Hi. I have a Raspberry Pi model 3 with Libreelec SO on it. When I try to connect by wifi to the network generated by my Orbi system, I can’t see the network’s SSID on the raspberry. I can connect without issues to my former router and my former 2,4 network (not to the 5ghz).

Raspberry Pi 3 has only 802.11n WiFi.  It cannot "see" 5G, which you know already. There is no need to "turn off" the Orbi 5G. Unlike Internet of Things (IoT) devices which have no display and no keyboard, your Raspberry is probably hooked up to both.  (My Raspberry Pi 3b+ is running Raspberrian, so I am not familiar with how networks are set up on LibreELEC.)

The RBR20 has an ethernet port on the back.  Will the Pi connect via ethernet?

It is also probably worth confirming that your Orbi is broadcasting the SSID on the 2.4G channel.  On the Advanced Tab->Advanced Settings->Wireless Settings, is the 2.4G box checked?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The setup software for the Pi might be tuned for 2.4Ghz only so reason why disabling 5Ghz SSID to check might be needed. 

Message 4 of 12
Enllorvall
Aspirant

Thanks, but didn’t work. I unchecked the “enable SSID broadcast” option under “advanced wireless settings” on the 5ghz, but nothing happened... My raspberry continues not seeing my Orbi Network (I rebooted the raspberry after the change).

I attach you my actual configuration of the Advanced wireless menu. It is correct?

thanks again 

Message 5 of 12
Enllorvall
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn,

thanks for your response.

My raspberry is connected to a tv, and with Libreelec I have a menu to set up your preferred network. Is on this menu where doesn’t appear the Orbi generated network. And it’s not hooked up to both because I don’t have any connection to the internet. 

You can find on the attachment my actual configuration of the “advanced wireless settings” menu, the 2’4 ghz SSID is selected and the 5ghz it’s not. Even so, I can’t see the Orbi network my raspberry. 

Connecting by Ethernet is not an option, the raspberry is too far from the router and the satellite for connecting it wired, it needs to be a wireless connection.

Hope this helps to find the solution, thanks again

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

After unchecking the SSID broadcast you did apply the change right? 

How do you have the SSID name configured on the Orbi? I presume other devices see this SSID name? 

Does the Pi see any SSID names at all? Try a simple SSID name on the Orbi to see if the Pi can pick up this simpler SSID name. 

Enusre the Pi's WiFi drivers are up to date. Might ask the Mfr of Pi about any wifi issues with Orbi. 

Message 7 of 12
ekhalil
Master

I think that the issue is that the Pi can only see the lower channels in the 2.4 GHz band.
In the Wireless Settings in Orbi please set the 2.4 GHz to channel 1 or 6 and see if the Pi will see it.
Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Absolutely!  The Orbi region is set to Europe, which allows channels above 11.  There appears to be a "fix" for Raspberry to allow the higher channels: https://tosbourn.com/get-channels-12-and-13-on-the-raspberry-pi-3/

Message 9 of 12
Enllorvall
Aspirant

Yes! Changing the channel finally worked and my raspberry saw the network. I didn't have time to apply the fix CrimpOn suggested, but I'll update the thread when i'll do it. 

One final thing: if I uncheck the 5ghz broadcast, it means that my entire Orbi network it's going to work at 2'4 ghz speed, even with the devices that support 5ghz? If is like that, it's not worth the change, I prefer not connecting the raspberry but having more speed in the devices that support 5ghz.

Thanks everybody for your help, and sorry for my awful english!

Enrique

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know the lower channels fixed it. Seems like the Pi3 needs a update to it's wifi adapter. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@Enllorvall wrote:

One final thing: if I uncheck the 5ghz broadcast, it means that my entire Orbi network it's going to work at 2'4 ghz speed, even with the devices that support 5ghz? If is like that, it's not worth the change, I prefer not connecting the raspberry but having more speed in the devices that support 5ghz.

You are correct.  Disabling the 5G broadcast is only a temporary solution to get certain devices to connect at 2.4G.  Once those devices have been connected, the 5G broadcast is immediately enabled again so that "everybody is happy."

In the case of your older Raspberry Pi, disabling 5G was never a solution.  The two possible solutions remain: (1) set the Orbi 2.4G channel to 1, 6, or 11 rather than leave it on "auto", or (2) change the Raspberry Pi network settings to "Europe" in the hopes that the Pi will then pick up the higher WiFi channels.  (1) is easy, quick, and known to work.  (2) turned up on a Google search and "might work."

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7