Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rbk50 lastest firmware 2.7.2.104 transmit power skipping 75%

Browntownnj
Aspirant

Rbk50 lastest firmware 2.7.2.104 transmit power skipping 75%

When I go to adjust my transmit power which used to be set to 75% on a previous version of the firmware I notice my options are now 100%, 50% and 25% only. Anyone else have this issue or know why I’m missing the option for 75%?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Rbk50 lastest firmware 2.7.2.104 transmit power skipping 75%

@Browntownnj wrote:
When I go to adjust my transmit power which used to be set to 75% on a previous version of the firmware I notice my options are now 100%, 50% and 25% only. Anyone else have this issue or know why I’m missing the option for 75%?

My experience as well, except that I blast away at 100%. Maybe 75% was so close to 100% that there was no point in having it?

If I were the Engineering manager, I certainly would not authorize work time to change something like this, unless it was to put in all the possible values.

Message 2 of 27
vajim
Master

Was this covered in the release notes?

Message 3 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

Release notes: "Fixes security issues"

Message 4 of 27
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Release notes: "Fixes security issues"

Perhaps 

Normally release notes explain what changes the firmware update provides.  That is to include all changes, security, cosmetic, or otherwise 

The fact that we're dealing with netgear has often revealed a whole different animal 

Message 5 of 27
Browntownnj
Aspirant

I didnt see it in any release notes...but I couldve missed it. however, either way when I had my system set to 75% I had no issues...no dropped wifi calls, no dead spots...everything was working great. Now I have to choose between 100% which causes a lot of over lap and dead spots or 50% which again leaves dead spots in different areas. UGH

Message 6 of 27
vajim
Master

@Browntownnj wrote:

I didnt see it in any release notes...but I couldve missed it. however, either way when I had my system set to 75% I had no issues...no dropped wifi calls, no dead spots...everything was working great. Now I have to choose between 100% which causes a lot of over lap and dead spots or 50% which again leaves dead spots in different areas. UGH

Imho....I doubt turning up the power is the cause of your over lap (?) or vice versa, unless your neighbor is in your back pocket.  It's more than likely another fault of a vicious firmware update.  Just a guess.  

Message 7 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

Post #9 in this thread from 2 years ago shows how to set the Transmit Power on each of the Orbi radios.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Further-Reduce-the-Transmit-Power-in-Orbi/m-p/1672260 

I just now tried it on my RBR50. Set the Transmit power on the 5G Backhaul radio to 3mW (because I have no satellite with it).

Since user radios are the issue, you could use this procedure to set the fronthaul 2.4G and 5G radios to many different values.

(I found that 1mW was not accepted, but 3mW was)

The step to "commit" the changes failed.  Don't know if there is another post correcting the command or what.

When I want to make some changes like this after a reboot, I save them in a Notepad++ file, PuTTY into the router, then "copy and paste" into the window

Message 8 of 27
Browntownnj
Aspirant

My last communication with “customer service” (about a year ago) suggested the reduced transmit power after we reinstalled the firmware several times and tried a bunch of other annoying processes and that was the only thing that walked until one of the next firmwares removed the 75% and now I’m here without any customer support because paying them for what they call help is a waste of money’s
Message 9 of 27
vajim
Master

@Browntownnj wrote:
My last communication with “customer service” (about a year ago) suggested the reduced transmit power after we reinstalled the firmware several times and tried a bunch of other annoying processes and that was the only thing that walked until one of the next firmwares removed the 75% and now I’m here without any customer support because paying them for what they call help is a waste of money’s

I would certainly question the power reduction step or option unless they thought you told them you needed it to compensate something on your network. 

Message 10 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

So 50% doesn't work for you? 

75% was remove about a year ago. NG didn't give details why. So either revert back to something that has 75% or use 50%. Mines at 25% and working fine. 

@Browntownnj wrote:

Message 11 of 27
Browntownnj
Aspirant

If I knew which one had 75% I probably would revert back…except they don’t advertise which one had that. Also, my Orbi system skipped two of the updates, hence why I had the 75% for so long…but now without it I can’t settle for the 50% or 100% options as they both pose issues. Plus, the more recent updates were also security fixes and I don’t want to go back on those. It just makes no sense why they removed it and why there is nothing you can do to even bring it back without sacrificing the security of your system.
Message 12 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Only reason why reducing power on the RBR is to help avoid interfenreces with other wifi signals, like with neighbors, Like i have right next door to me with there Orbi system. Thus reduce some of the wifi broadcast foot print for your entire house down to realistic coverage. Otherwise you can run 100% most of the time. Having 75 or 50% doesn't make much change and little impact. I presume one reason why NG remove it was due to the signal change wasn't enough between 50% and 100% so wasn't a real need for that 75%. Most other router mfrs I've seen and experiences also have similar settings, High, Medium and Low. Thus translates to 100, 50 and 25%. 

If your thinking 75% is a fix, and the other settings are not working, I would look into something else that maybe causing problems if your having problems. 

My RBK50 is working fine at 25% with a RBS20 wirelessly connected. 

Message 13 of 27
Browntownnj
Aspirant

Ok…that makes sense but what else would cause this? Like i said, with 75% I had no issues. With 100% I have issues. With 50% I have more issues. All the issues are either the device doesn’t change smoothly to the rbs40v or there are dead zones. At 100% it makes sense that the devices wouldn’t change smoothly because there was too much overlap.
Message 14 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Placement and distance is key here. 

Message 15 of 27
Browntownnj
Aspirant

I’m aware and like I said I had no issues prior with the setup running as is at 75%. I have a wifi scanner and the placement was chosen because it gave the best coverage. I’m aware about how placement works, but again, you are suggesting something that has been worked out and was proven to be effective until netgear removed what was KEY in making it work properly.
Message 16 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Well Like I said, 75% isn't needed and should work with other settings. Placement and distance is key in any setting and configuration. Power settings just allow some tuning and helps avoid some interferences. 

Do you remember what version of FW you had loaded at all? 

Message 17 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

@Browntownnj wrote:
If I knew which one had 75% I probably would revert back…except they don’t advertise which one had that.

Actually, the Transmit Power setting applies to ALL Orbi units on the "user facing" radios.

If Transmit Power is set to (some value), then ALL of the Orbi's transmit at the power.

Is there a particular reason not to attempt telnet control of the transmit power?

Save the Orbi config, change transmit power and see what happens.  If you don't like it, just restore the configuration and it will go back the way it was.

Message 18 of 27
alokeprasad
Mentor

Is the reason to reduce power only to avoid being a bad neighbor?

I thought it helps reduce the overlap in my own house between the RBR and the RBS's (if ideal distancing and placement is not possible).

Any reason to reduce power if I have no neighbors (or don't care about them)?

Message 19 of 27
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

Is the reason to reduce power only to avoid being a bad neighbor?

I thought it helps reduce the overlap in my own house between the RBR and the RBS's (if ideal distancing and placement is not possible).

Any reason to reduce power if I have no neighbors (or don't care about them)?

I personally can't think of any reason to reduce power on your wifi.  I've done it in the pass but that was to force my phone to 2.4 to allow setup of a device.

I've never heard of the overlap concern you mention.  The area normally reached/covered by the Sats is just that and would not normally be a part of what the router itself can reach, thus the purpose of the Sat.

Message 20 of 27
Browntownnj
Aspirant

Of course if you change the transmit power it will affect all connected satellites and routers….I don’t think that we’ve in question here. The reason why I don’t use the telenet is because it doesn’t stay after a reboot, it’s not always stable and it’s less of fix and more of a bandaid if it even achieves what’s needed. But last I tried it didn’t affect the front haul as some call it…only the back haul which isn’t my issue here.

If the devices are transmitting and the overlap between them is too great it will 100% affect your wifi. Instead of switching to the closest satellite it stays with the one it was originally connected to because it’s still receiving a decent signal from it and your wifi speeds will suffer. It has nothing to do with affecting your neighbors although you could implement it for that purpose. The transmits power absolutely affects how the mesh network functions…hence why placement is also a huge criteria for getting solid coverage and keeping the satellites and routers at least 30 ft apart from one another.
Message 21 of 27
alokeprasad
Mentor

Message 22 of 27
vajim
Master

interesting article

do you think it's talking about turning down the power at the router (main source) or other points (AP)?

Message 23 of 27
Sabbsol
Tutor

Does changing country / region of the WiFi also affect transmit power?  I would like to access channels 12 and 13 to avoid interference.

thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 24 of 27
Browntownnj
Aspirant

It hasn’t for me.
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 4 kudos