Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rbk50 speed issues

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Rbk50 speed issues

Any progress on this? 

@Damit1 wrote:

That is a weird issue. 

S8+ speedtest in front of the router (20cm away)- 350-400M speed.

S8+ speedtest in front of the Satellite (about the same distance) 450-500M speed, like used to be before of this upgrade to latest and downgrade back to .210 VER.

Can anyone explain this to me? 

That is a mistery for me. 

Version 

Message 101 of 111
fern12
Aspirant

Anybody have a solution to this?  I just upgraded to Spectrum's gigabit service and I'm not getting the 940mbps they promise. My download speeds didn't change from the previous tier I had but I notice my upload speeds did increase. When I connect my MacBook Pro straight to the modem via ethernet I do get the around 935mbps down. 

Here's my setup:

Modem provided by Charter Spectrum

Orbi set to router mode

Two satellites around my home.

Top download speed I get is around 503mbps even if I tether straight to one of the Orbi ethernet ports.

Any input from anyone please? Thanks.

Message 102 of 111
Stea1th
Aspirant

Mine worked by turning off router mode and making it an ap and buying a new router (edge router x)

Sadly it was the only thing that worked for me; I tried everything
Message 103 of 111
fern12
Aspirant

Would I have to get a separate router for each of the satelliets as well if I have devices tethered to them? 

@Stea1th wrote:
Mine worked by turning off router mode and making it an ap and buying a new router (edge router x)

Sadly it was the only thing that worked for me; I tried everything

Message 104 of 111
Stea1th
Aspirant

No, you just need a router. EdgerouterX didn’t do gigabit speeds out the box Either , I had to enable hardware offloading but it was a cheap ($60) alternative that works extremely well and gives you a crazy amount of abilities. I don’t recommend it unless you are familiar with IT equipment and or are willing to learn. I’m actually getting rid of my orbi and buying 2 new APs. I was a big supporter for orbi, and I still am, but for those on gigabit speeds, something is up preventing it from getting full speeds in router mode.

Mind you having it in AP I am able to get 800-950 speeds. Just like I used too with a wired system.
Message 105 of 111
fern12
Aspirant

Interesting!  Do you mind expplaining how they would connect to each other?  My ISP modem to The Orbi set to AP to the Edgerouter? Then transfer all devices tethered to the Orbi to the new router?  Do they Orbi satellites continue to provide IPs to the devices connected to them? Thanks!

@Stea1th wrote:
No, you just need a router. EdgerouterX didn’t do gigabit speeds out the box Either , I had to enable hardware offloading but it was a cheap ($60) alternative that works extremely well and gives you a crazy amount of abilities. I don’t recommend it unless you are familiar with IT equipment and or are willing to learn. I’m actually getting rid of my orbi and buying 2 new APs. I was a big supporter for orbi, and I still am, but for those on gigabit speeds, something is up preventing it from getting full speeds in router mode.

Mind you having it in AP I am able to get 800-950 speeds. Just like I used too with a wired system.

Message 106 of 111
Stea1th
Aspirant

Modem > Router > orbi Main (wan port) ///// satellite connect normal

Everything is connected to the orbi like normal. I’m just not using it for anything other than a switch and WiFi.

My setup I have the router handling IPs and controlling everything. The orbi does nothing aside from WiFi and a simple switch.

Message 107 of 111
fern12
Aspirant

Can I switch it to AP mode on Orbi login to test and see if my speeds cahnge without buying the router first?  Is there a way to test it first? Thanks for your help with this!  

@Stea1th wrote:

Everything is connected to the orbi like normal. I’m just not using it for anything other than a switch and WiFi.

My setup I have the router handling IPs and controlling everything. The orbi does nothing aside from WiFi and a simple switch.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 108 of 111
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so, 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Also: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

Message 109 of 111
fern12
Aspirant

I picked up the EdgeRouter X to see if I could fix my speed issue. Now I have the Orbi set to AP and the speeds improved a bit but not quite what I should be getting. I upgraded the EdgeRouter to firmware v2.0.6 and activated hardware offloading but the most I get is 700mps down when I'm tethered straight to the router. What firmware does your EdgeRouter have and is it stable?  I feel like v2.0.6 broke hardware offloading after reading a bit on it.  Note: if I connect staright to my ISP modem I get a constabt 940mbps down. 

@Stea1th wrote:

Message 110 of 111
fern12
Aspirant

Any input?  @Stea1th 

Message 111 of 111
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 110 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements