Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rbk852 has never been able to check for updates automatically

Rawcus
Tutor

Rbk852 has never been able to check for updates automatically

I have updated the firmware manually every time and am currently on the latest. I’ve owned it for about a year. Please someone help me figure out how to update it with the iPhone app. So I’ve been through many versions of the firmware and the iPhone app and never have I been able to update the firmware with the app. I can’t even select rbr850 or rbk852 from the model number on this post. I am looking for help automatically updating Netgear router with app.

Please do not ask me the latest version I have installed as you can find that out for yourself.

By all means please do not mention how to manually update the firmware. There seriously was a post earlier that the solution from a superuser was to manually update it? What is that?
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Rawcus
Tutor

Re: Rbk852 has never been able to check for updates automatically

The solution is that Netgear has no reason to fix the automatic process as everyone just keeps telling people to needlessly upgrade it manually.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
vajim
Master

you may want to post your question here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

It's recommended to avoid using the Orbi app to update FW. Use the RBRs FW update web page or manually update using downloaded files. 

@Rawcus wrote:
I have updated the firmware manually every time and am currently on the latest. I’ve owned it for about a year. Please someone help me figure out how to update it with the iPhone app. So I’ve been through many versions of the firmware and the iPhone app and never have I been able to update the firmware with the app. I can’t even select rbr850 or rbk852 from the model number on this post. I am looking for help automatically updating Netgear router with app.

Please do not ask me the latest version I have installed as you can find that out for yourself.

By all means please do not mention how to manually update the firmware. There seriously was a post earlier that the solution from a superuser was to manually update it? What is that?

Message 3 of 15
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

It's recommended to avoid using the Orbi app to update FW. Use the RBRs FW update web page or manually update using downloaded files. 

@Rawcus wrote:

More help here

you may want to post your question here:

Message 4 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rawcus wrote:

There appears to be a misunderstanding. Netgear set up these community forums so that customers can talk to each other about Netgear products, issues, and possible solutions.  In four years, I have never seen any Netgear employee participate in the forums.  Never.

Thus, "no" we cannot find out anything about your system for ourselves.

@Rawcus wrote:
IBy all means please do not mention how to manually update the firmware. There seriously was a post earlier that the solution from a superuser was to manually update it? What is that?

Firmware updates are a frequent topic on the forum because the situation is such a mess.  Many of the posts start out with, "I used the Orbi app to update firmware and now <something horrible has happened>."  This is the reason people with a lot of experience are not all that excited about updating firmware using the app.  In addition, there are a range of opinions regarding whether it is necessary or advisable to force new firmware on an Orbi when it does not offer to install it.  For those who demand the newest firmware, manually updating is the only solution that the user community has found.

Perhaps a user who participates in the AX forum https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax or the Orbi "app" forum has discoverd a way to get the Orbi app to work. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app 

Message 5 of 15
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Rawcus wrote:

There appears to be a misunderstanding. Netgear set up these community forums so that customers can talk to each other about Netgear products, issues, and possible solutions.  In four years, I have never seen any Netgear employee participate in the forums.  Never.

Thus, "no" we cannot find out anything about your system for ourselves.

As long as you're not talking about forum moderators for I've seen a few of them responding to questions about warranties.

The idea or thought of actual Netgear employees monitoring or engaging in this forum does not surprise me.   What does surprise me is that no one has brought it up before.  It's not so much that the participant in mind has access to any user details which I doubt but rather of an annoyance of being all things to all questions, and there lies the confusion.  

Message 6 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@vajim wrote:

As long as you're not talking about forum moderators for I've seen a few of them responding to questions about warranties.

Thanks for the clarification.  I guess my concept of "employees" consists of "people who know things", such as Engineers and Tech Support people above "Level 1".  My impression of the power of moderators is to "moderate" and to "pass things on" to someone who actually has authority.  It would be bizzare for someone to devote so many hours to community forums without some sort of compensation.

Message 7 of 15
Rawcus
Tutor

The lastest version as in as if the writing of the post and correlated to the firmware available you’ll know it is the latest one. But regardless it is the latest meaning asking me if I have the latest would be a pointless endeavor.

However you do bring up a good point about an employee never looking at this message board and if I bought this up with the expectation of being able to update it with the app and it doesn’t work I should just seek damages instead.

The version is 3.2.17.12 and is the rbk852 which includes the rbr850 and rbs850. I would be interested in know what other hardware identifiers could help narrow this down further. I am assuming their isn’t any.
Message 8 of 15
Rawcus
Tutor

I also maybe wrote that not having much sleep. I noticed that a few other people have written similar posts about similar problems and it always reverts to a solution that doesn’t include the original problem of updating with the app.

Regardless which way is better or safer for the router the advertised function of updating with the app or even the website without getting a service is unreachable error should not be the case for over a year.

The app basically appears to be a way for Netgear to try and push there pro support and armor add ons. Armor itself has at least two different descriptions and links to its product page within the app.

Point being If someone is looking up a similar problem they can hopefully find this post and remember it’s not 1999. This should let them know that app updating automatically shouldn’t be a problem and they should contact a regulatory body about it.
Message 9 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rawcus wrote:
The version is 3.2.17.12 and is the rbk852 which includes the rbr850 and rbs850. I would be interested in know what other hardware identifiers could help narrow this down further. I am assuming their isn’t any.

These are Orbi product numbers. When entered on the Netgear support site, they will bring up a link to the most recent (and every previous) firmware: https://www.netgear.com/support/ 

Message 10 of 15
vajim
Master

@Rawcus wrote:
The lastest version as in as if the writing of the post and correlated to the firmware available you’ll know it is the latest one. But regardless it is the latest meaning asking me if I have the latest would be a pointless endeavor.

However you do bring up a good point about an employee never looking at this message board and if I bought this up with the expectation of being able to update it with the app and it doesn’t work I should just seek damages instead.

you do realize there is a separate forum for the RBR850??

Message 11 of 15
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@vajim wrote:

It would be bizzare for someone to devote so many hours to community forums without some sort of compensation.

My thoughts exactly......not to mention the apparent position in most of these posts would lead the observer to assume we're dealing with a NG employee.  

Message 12 of 15
Rawcus
Tutor

The solution is that Netgear has no reason to fix the automatic process as everyone just keeps telling people to needlessly upgrade it manually.
Message 13 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rawcus wrote:

"everyone" is not entirely correct. There are a number of people who feel strongly that rushing to load up the "latest and greatest" is neither necessary nor wise.  For myself, I have never loaded new firmware until at least 5-6 weeks after comments show up on the forum about "what happened" to people who have loaded it. Saved myself a load of grief on at least two occasions.  I remain on 2.5.1.16, wondering what I have to gain from either (a) allowing the Orbi to update to 2.5.2.4 (automatic) or (b) do a manual upload to 2.7.2.102.  I have one Orbi that is still going strong on 2.3.5.0 (18 months).  I have no physical contact because it's 3,000 miles away.  If "something goes wrong", I have no way to rescue the situation.

My observation is what everyone does is respond to people who insist they have to have the latest firmware.  And, the plain fact is that when the Orbi will not install it automatically, then the only way is to download and load it manually.  That's not a recommendation to do it. That's just a fact.

Message 14 of 15
vajim
Master

@vajim wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Rawcus wrote:

In four years, I have never seen any Netgear employee participate in the forums. 

Another thought on this subject, a quick observation of the other forums offered in this community will reveal one individual who appears every where with basically the same copy/paste responses in several other forums.  Perhaps that's where the idea of Netgear employees contributing came from.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7