Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rbs40 wired backhaul on a rbk50? Just as extra range....

Gjarrett
Aspirant

Rbs40 wired backhaul on a rbk50? Just as extra range....

I have an rbk50 system all working fine.

the rbr50 and rbs50 are wired together.

the question is I found a great deal on a rbk40, I know I can’t add the rbr40 but can I add the rbs40 “wired” for a extra satellite?

I know the rbs40 is slower.... would there be any overall network performance issues?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
BBB73
Apprentice

I have a RBS40 as 2nd satellite (wired) to a RBR50, with RBS50 as other satellite (wireless). Works like a charm. 

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@Gjarrett wrote:

.... would there be any overall network performance issues?

You should be fine, it's just that the backhaul of the RBS40 will be limited to 867 Mbps (wireless) 🙂

The backhaul of an RBS50 if wirelessly connected to RBR50 is 1.7 Gbps and much more if wired as you currently have it!

Good luck.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

RBR can only work as main host routers or main AP mode. I presume you can connect them togther however the two will have separate wifi SSIDs and will not sync together as RBS will. I would configure the RBR for AP mode then connect it if you choose to get another. 

@Gjarrett wrote:

I have an rbk50 system all working fine.

the rbr50 and rbs50 are wired together.

the question is I found a great deal on a rbk40, I know I can’t add the rbr40 but can I add the rbs40 “wired” for a extra satellite?

I know the rbs40 is slower.... would there be any overall network performance issues?

Message 4 of 6
Gjarrett
Aspirant

I wasn’t plannng on using the rbr just the rbs?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS will work fine as an additional satellite. Just the RBS40 will have a lower connection rate as its max on 5Ghz is 867Mb while the 50 series supports up to 1700Mb on 5Ghz. 

@Gjarrett wrote:

I wasn’t plannng on using the rbr just the rbs?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7