Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rbs50 constantly losing connection to rbr50...why?

danall22
Aspirant

Rbs50 constantly losing connection to rbr50...why?

Hi, I have the orbi system and the router is fine and working with no issues. However the satellite constantly drops connection and I know this because I had devices the other day connected to the satellite router and as they had a WiFi connection they stayed on this whilst the actual satellite lost connection to the router and therefore the internet so I had loads of devices without internet! It happens quite often and I have no idea why. I am not 100% savvy on these issues and not sure what settings are best? Is this common or is there something wrong my end? If I turn the satellite off the devices connected to the router ok and once the satellite was restarted it was ok?

Message 1 of 13
danall22
Aspirant

Sorry forgot to say I have beam forming and the mi option turned on, should these be off or on? No idea what they are or what they do.

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Those settings likely have little to do with the satellite connection.

How far is the satellite from the router?

Do you use the Orbi web interface or the Orbi "app" to administer the Orbi?

Message 3 of 13
danall22
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply and the help, it is about 30ft from the main unit and I use both to manage it... Mainly the Web interface as its easier to use.
Message 4 of 13
ekhalil
Master

What Orbi software you’re on?
Message 5 of 13
orbi-solo
Aspirant

Unfortunately this is a known flaw and defect with the orbi product.  I had to turn my satellite completely off to get a workable system.

Kinda defeats the purpose of  mesh wireless network....

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 13
danall22
Aspirant

2.3.1.60 is the version on both which is the latest it seems.

What do you mean known flaw... So the satellites do not work as intended or do you need more to make them work?
Message 7 of 13
orbi-solo
Aspirant

In my case if the satellite is connected to the router (5Ghz - good status reported) any downstream devices whether wireless to the satellite or wired to the satellite are contantly on/off the network.  I'm lucky that the single router located centrally in our home has sufficient coverage to work effectivly.

When monitoing the wireless wit han analyzer the 5Ghz wireless backhaul seems to be the issue as it is up/down all the time.

To summarise: in my experience the connection between router and satellite is unstable and unreliable.  I cannot use it.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@danall22 wrote:
2.3.1.60 is the version on both which is the latest it seems.

This is an issue in 2.3.1.60. I do the following to get around this issue:

1. Switch off the Satellite
  2. Got to Attached Devices in the web GUI and click on the "Disconnect" button beside the Satellite
  3. Turn on the Satellite and use a paper clip to factory reset the Satellite
  4. When the Satellite is up after factory rest, press the Sync button on the Satellite and then on the Router
  5. When the Satellite is added it should behave correctly.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 13
danall22
Aspirant

Ok thanks I will give that a go but I must say it was doing it on the old firmware too.

Message 10 of 13
ekhalil
Master

Yes, this issue was introduced 1 or 2 releases before 2.3.1.60.
Message 11 of 13
danall22
Aspirant

Oh right makes sense and resetting will fix it?

Message 12 of 13
ekhalil
Master

Yes, resetting the Satellite (NOT the Router) -using the procedure described above- worked well for me and few others in this forum. 🙂
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7