Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rbs50 firmware V2.1.4.16_1.0.0.11 upgrade

Cahall123
Initiate

Rbs50 firmware V2.1.4.16_1.0.0.11 upgrade

I have a Verizon bought Orbi RBS50 router and satellite and an external RBY50 satellite. I am trying to upgrade the Verizon router and Satellite that are still on V2.1.4.16_1.0.0.11 but manual fails with “This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.” The external satellite is on 2.3.5.32. Called Verizon and they state they have no clue how to upgrade it even though it comes up as Verizon on connecting to router and satellite. I read the notes and have tried multiple firmware versions including the interim 2.2.1.212 any successfully done this???
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your Orbi is a Verizon version from them, then you'll probably not be able to udpate it to NG stock FW. 

You'll need to contact Verizon to see if there if FW for there version of Orbi. Some ISPs do there own FW on NG hardware which required the ISP FW to be loaded. 

Message 2 of 4
Cahall123
Initiate

I spent almost 4 hrs on the phone their useless tech department had no idea they loaded What looks like Verizon specific firmware onto the routers, they claim not to support the routers (even though they recommended and sold it to me) and claimed that only Netgear could help which appears not to be the case. When I received it they promised if I ever left Verizon that they would send a link to remove their firmware which they are now denying......... All around terrible customer support and has left me with a low firmware expensive paper weight router
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try this:

Download both RBS and RBR FW files...

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 
I had a problem on a Windows 10 PC where this didn't work to use TFTP, so I switched to a WIndows 7 PC and the TFTP worked.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7