Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready to bail on Orbi and try Velop- any tried it?

lowepg
Apprentice

Ready to bail on Orbi and try Velop- any tried it?

Getting frustrated by all the problems since this last firmware push....

For the $$$$ they charge for Orbi- it's just not acceptable.

Anyone try the Velop?

One thing I really like is it appears to be a TRUE mesh design- not Master/Satelite like the Orbi.

Message 1 of 10
amrobx
Guide

Re: Ready to bail on Orbi and try Velop- any tried it?

Using a 2 node Velop right now and getting roughly 150 mbps to 200 on average with wired (usually closer to 150) per iperf3. They are easy to set up and pair, plus wired backhaul works well. Coverage is more than enough everywhere and well outside my house @ ~1600ftsq. Can’t compare to Orbi just yet, as I won’t have until next week. I will have more conclusive comparisons late next week which will decide which one I return

Message 2 of 10
Boomerang3
Apprentice

I would be interested in the systems management aspects of each.  I haven't come across any reviews that discuss the management of each solution.

Message 3 of 10
amrobx
Guide

Velop isn’t terribly robust, either from the app or web interface. Certainly nothing like you’d see from Ubiquiti and the like. Like most mesh solutions, the general target is higher simplicity. I’d imagine orbi isn’t terribly different in that aspect. The Velop management definitely would not be one of the reasons to steer in its direction.

Message 4 of 10
Boomerang3
Apprentice

Yes, I understand what your saying and the target.  I would hope that Netgear over the next couple quarters ups their game on the back office systems management aspects not only from a visual point of view but also additional features.  SNMP would be great to begin with, especially since they are targeting the Orbi towards SOHO.  http://www.netgear.com/orbi-pro/

Message 5 of 10
Dittim
Tutor

I checked the Linksys forums and they are having as many, if not more, issues with stable connections as Netgear. 

I downgraded to 2.0.0.74 and disabled auto-update and everything is stable for me. I’m sticking with Orbi as the hardware is better and hopefully Netgear will get their act together on stable firmware soon. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 10
Boomerang3
Apprentice

I believe that the consumer mesh market is still maturing, so going with a company with a good reputation for updates, and support will be important as we proceed.  My setup is rock solid, getting full speeds throughout the house.  With the exception of systems management could use some upgrading, I am extremely happy.

Message 7 of 10
Silver0066
Apprentice

How do you disable the Automatic Firmware update?

Message 8 of 10
tagteam
Virtuoso

Message 9 of 10
webminster
Luminary

My (short) experience with the Velop (2 node).  I had one for a day, then returned it.

Setup wasn't too bad.   I needed to set it to AP (bridge) mode for my network, same as I run the Orbi now.  That was a failure - it did not pass DHCP traffic through properly, so clients tended to never get an IP from my servers.  From the forums, this appears to be a long-standing issue Linksys keeps not fixing.

Also, the Velop doesn't provide a connected device list in bridge mode - at least the Orbi tries, even if in current firmware it's all botched.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7