Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCLOUD issue

SLACKYHACKY
Aspirant

ReadyCLOUD issue

Hello,

Can any hardrive work as a ReadyCLOUD device?

I can't seem to get my external hardrive to show up.  IN fact, I can't see a ReadyCLOUD option in the ReadySHARE page.

Is there something I need to do?  The FAQ and help pages on NetGear are GROSSLY inadequate.

Thanks.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

USB drives is not supported on Orbi systems. 

Message 2 of 6
SLACKYHACKY
Aspirant

Unfortunately, that isn't what Netgear says.

https://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/readyshare.aspx

From THEIR webpage (linked above):

"

Access Your Files Wherever, Whenever

Now you can access and share your files via secure, personal cloud storage with NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD® USB Access. Once you've connected your USB drive to your NETGEAR router and uploaded all your favorite files, you can enjoy the convenience and accessibility of Google Drive™ and Dropbox® without the fees, storage limitations, or privacy concerns. Using the ReadyCLOUD mobile app or web portal, you’ll now have anytime, anywhere access to your USB drive at home… it’s that easy!"

So, can someone explain why Netgear is advertising that it works?  Are they purposely being deceitful and misleading, or they they just confused?

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@SLACKYHACKY wrote:

Unfortunately, that isn't what Netgear says.

https://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/readyshare.aspx

Notice the first line, "Available on many Netgear routers."  When Netgear announced the Orbi line back in 2016, people immediatelyl began asking, "How can I attach a USB drive or USB printer to my Orbi?"  Now, in 2020, every model of Orbi that is shipping has no USB port.  The original RBR50 and RBS50 have USB ports, but every model released since does not.

Sometime after product release, the concept of ReadyShare simply disappeared as far as the Orbi product is concerned.

The Orbi User Manual for the RBR50 (which does have a USB port), contains no reference to ReadyShare.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

This is a bitter disappointment for many Orbi purchasers.  The only solution that has been proposed is to connect some sort of NAS system with an ethernet cable.

Sorry.

Message 4 of 6
SLACKYHACKY
Aspirant

I tried an ethernet cable with USB conversion adapters.

It didn't work...bummer.

What is interesting is my Apple Time Capsule plugged into the ethernet is recognized as a NAS, and I can plug my other drive that I was trying to get it to recognize into the Time Capsule USB and both are recognized that way.  It is a work around I didn't want to do.

As to my point then - it looks like Netgear is then deliberately trying to be deceitful then (which is terribly disappointing.). It would be SO EASY for them to add (except for ORBI) on the page I referenced above where it the langauge seems like ALL Netgear routers allow ReadySHARE.  Maybe their engineers can't figure out how to edit the page.  

If they call me, I could help them figure out how to edit the page.  Someone just let me know if you need help with that.  It probably would be worth it.  Being honest is a big deal to most people.  I hope they figure that out.  

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

People have been asking for USB drive support for Orbi for a while now. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

You can see and post there, that users have asked for this. 

So far NG hasn't given in and seems to have by passed support for USB drives on ALL Orbi systems. NG removed the USB port on the v2 50 series systems and it's not even included on the newer Orbi AX systems. So I presume NG has there reason why they don't want to include it in there Orbi systems. 

It's available on there R and RAX series routers. If you really need USB support on your router, you could get one of those, turn OFF the wifi radios and configure Orbi for AP mode to use wifi MESH then connect your USB drive to that router.

Also there is NAS as well. Once you go NAS, you'll not use USB much anymore. I enjoy mine. 

Good Luck. 

@SLACKYHACKY wrote:

I tried an ethernet cable with USB conversion adapters.

It didn't work...bummer.

What is interesting is my Apple Time Capsule plugged into the ethernet is recognized as a NAS, and I can plug my other drive that I was trying to get it to recognize into the Time Capsule USB and both are recognized that way.  It is a work around I didn't want to do.

As to my point then - it looks like Netgear is then deliberately trying to be deceitful then (which is terribly disappointing.). It would be SO EASY for them to add (except for ORBI) on the page I referenced above where it the langauge seems like ALL Netgear routers allow ReadySHARE.  Maybe their engineers can't figure out how to edit the page.  

If they call me, I could help them figure out how to edit the page.  Someone just let me know if you need help with that.  It probably would be worth it.  Being honest is a big deal to most people.  I hope they figure that out.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7