Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyShare Mac for Catalina

denverpilot
Aspirant

ReadyShare Mac for Catalina

Any news on when NetGear will release a 64-bit USB print driver compatible with OSX Catalina?

They've removed the Mac download link from the main ReadyShare page without noting any details... like why they weren't ready for this, since Apple has been warning about it for years... and a driver could have been developed and tested against the OSX beta a year or more ago.

Doesn't really belong in the Orbi area, but I didn't see a generic or defined location for ReadyShare software.

Model: ReadySHARE USB Printer|Convert your USB printer into a network printer
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the ReadyShare forums. 

Good Luck. 

@denverpilot wrote:

Any news on when NetGear will release a 64-bit USB print driver compatible with OSX Catalina?

They've removed the Mac download link from the main ReadyShare page without noting any details... like why they weren't ready for this, since Apple has been warning about it for years... and a driver could have been developed and tested against the OSX beta a year or more ago.

Doesn't really belong in the Orbi area, but I didn't see a generic or defined location for ReadyShare software.

Message 2 of 14
denverpilot
Aspirant

Got a link? This forum software is horrid.
Message 3 of 14
denverpilot
Aspirant

The TOC for Apps and Services shows no ReadyShare option.
Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Scroll down and you should find ReadyNAS forums here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Message 5 of 14
denverpilot
Aspirant

There is only a ReadyNas Storage forum.

This is about ReadyNas Printing. Not Storage.
Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@denverpilot wrote:

This is interesting.  I looked for a community forum for "ReadyShare" and did not find one.  Searching the entire forum for "Readyshare" brought up posts in the Genie forum, which we know ceased working on the Orbi platform a long time ago.

This is just me being snarky, but I hear the new Orbi WiFi6 models do not have a USB port at all.  That might indicate that Netgear doesn't think USB support on the Orbi is a high priority - or any priority at all. (end Snark)

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBK852 doesn't have a USB port. Smiley Wink

@CrimpOn wrote:

@denverpilot wrote:

This is interesting.  I looked for a community forum for "ReadyShare" and did not find one.  Searching the entire forum for "Readyshare" brought up posts in the Genie forum, which we know ceased working on the Orbi platform a long time ago.

This is just me being snarky, but I hear the new Orbi WiFi6 models do not have a USB port at all.  That might indicate that Netgear doesn't think USB support on the Orbi is a high priority - or any priority at all. (end Snark)

Message 9 of 14
denverpilot
Aspirant

Most of the others do, it's definitely a "touted" feature of the Orbi lineup, as is the fileshare version of it, but Netgear screwed the poovh again, like always... LOL!

And I don't say that lightly as an almost 30 year IT guy. Hahaha -- their stuff works well for the home gamer, but lapses in software planning keep me far far FAR away from them for anything professional... a professional line f products or not, this stuff goes nowhere near my users or data centers or anywhere important. 

They could step up their game for the prices they're getting for the Orbi stuff.  Understandable on their cheap stuff to make these sorts of mistakes, but not a $300 two device system (RBK60 variant) and a $200+ add on satellite.

They really need to get it togther -- but not holding my breath! Hahaha...

Message 10 of 14
dinkoh
Aspirant

Any updates on this?

Message 11 of 14
2charactersHERE
Initiate

Also waiting for an update. Catalina no longer accepts 32 bit software, so Readyshare must be available in 64bit version for it to work. This is the future as all Macs will have at least 2 cores and 64 bit going forward.

Message 12 of 14
dinkoh
Aspirant

I get the feeling they won't support ReadyShare anymore.  The new hardware doesn't come with a USB port.  I wouldn't hold my breath.  😞

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

NG removed the USB port on Orbi v2's. NG doesn't currenlty support ReadyNAS on Orbi at all. By the looks of this and how long users have been asking about it and removal of the USB port on Orbi v2 and now Orbi AX, doesn't seem like it will be supported at all in the future. I recommend users of orbi find alternative storage solutions. Please review actual NAS devices. It's not too expensive to migrate to actual NAS. Some two port NAS and drives can be done on a budget.

Once you go NAS, you'll never go back. Heart

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7