Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Realistic WIFI Speeds

mulliganplummer
Follower

Realistic WIFI Speeds

Ok I want to be realistic, I have 1000mps fiber to my house. I know that through ethernet, will never get that high, but still really fast speeds. So with a router & 2 satellite setup I am only getting right around 100mps speeds. Amy I correct in thinking I should be getting faster speeds than that?

Thanks

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
Wakey
Star

Yes you should get faster depending on where you are. I have 540mps internet. I can get anything from 500 ish close to one of my satellites in one room, down to about 70 ish in my bathroom. Around a lot of the house I am in the 300 range, but I’m from U.K. so my house may be smaller than yours.

Have you got the latest firmware on ? If yes, that slowed my system dramatically and I had to roll back manually to the last one. 

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

A couple things to check.

1. What is your housing materials? Many housing materials do great job of blocking signals. These include plaster lathe, adobe, brick, concrete, foil lined insulation, hvac. 

2. How far apart is your router from the satellites?

3. What are you testing with (device and wifi chipset)? many wifi speeds are dependant on the device testing with. many phones have 1x1 antennas and so do cheaper laptop cards. 

4. Are you testing over 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 5ghz is going to have much higher throughput but not as much range. 

5. Firmware you're on?

6. If you hardwire into the router, what speeds do you get? 

7. If you hardwire into the satellite, what speeds do you get? 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7