Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Really Upset w Orbi's inconsistent speeds and now broken firmware V1.11.0.20 -- what can I do?

Brads515
Guide

Really Upset w Orbi's inconsistent speeds and now broken firmware V1.11.0.20 -- what can I do?

Truthfully, I got better speed and more reliability with my $30 router from 10 years ago than I do right now with my Orbi system.

I am getting speeds of .054 MB download, and 10 minutes later, speeds up 50MB download.

I am really upset with the inconsistency and incredibly unreliable service of this system

This latest firmware version V1.11.0.20 - has made things SO much worse.

I spent 2 hours on the phone w Netgear support trying to get this thing to work properly and they told me my unit was "defective" -- now I have a new one with the same problems.

Is a new firmware coming out soon to fix these speed incinsistencies?? If anyone has an idea of what I can do, please let me know.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Re: Really Upset w Orbi's inconsistent speeds and now broken firmware V1.11.0.20 -- what can I do?

I believe the firmware is mostly focused on addressing the disconnect issues that a few people have experienced. If you are experiencing such slow speeds, and you have the same issues with a seocnd Orbi, then your issue is probably not firmware related.

Have you run a WiFi scanner to see what other access points are nearby?  Maybe you have interference from nearby access points.

Message 2 of 5
Brads515
Guide

Thanks for the suggestion -- but there are no interference points here (im not in an apaprtment complex, etc).

The ONLY thing that helps me with the Orbi is resetting it every 2-3 days, and then it works well until the next time I have to reset it......it will work great for the first few hours after a reboot and slowly get worse from there.

Very frustrating!

Message 3 of 5
BostonRob101
Guide

Yes this is getting frustrating! After a reset, good speeds for about a day and then slow again on all devices unless they are wired to the router.
Message 4 of 5
Doug-48051
Luminary

Sounds Very frustrating!

Not sure if you want or have time to do any trouble shooting but if so you need to start elimating variables, and share more about your setup:

How many devices?

are they all on 2.4 or 5Ghz?

Do the units get hot over time?

Who's your ISP?  Are there any known issues with Mesh Networking?

Do you get the same download speeds wired to the router?

When speeds are slow.. Did you run the QoS test inside the router UI page?  Do the reading match?

How cureent are your PCs?  Windows 10..etc..?

If you returned one set and get same results with new ones?  The issue could be something else... 2 defect routers seems unlikely.  The more information you can provide, along with elimating things in the loop the better.

But it is completely understandable to BUY something at this price point and just want it to work. 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7