Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rebalance Devices

lmbassett
Aspirant

Rebalance Devices

I looking for a way to force devices off a weaker signal to the router or better signal satelite.  
It seems the device get stuck and won't move automatically to the better signal, even if I reboot
them.

Any suggestions.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@lmbassett wrote:

I looking for a way to force devices off a weaker signal to the router or better signal satelite.  
It seems the device get stuck and won't move automatically to the better signal, even if I reboot
them.

Controlling which Orbi unit a particular device uses is a frequent topic on this forum, and there is no known method to do so.

What might help is to have the device "forget" the Orbi WiFi network, then search for WiFi networks and connect to the Orbi again.  The idea behind this is that the device may have learned the MAC address of the Orbi it has been using and tries it first.

One wonders if this question is prompted by (a) "I know better than this stupid Orbi", or (b) performance is lacking.  If the device actually performs up to expectations, being connected to the wrong Orbi may be less of a concern.

Message 2 of 6
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

One wonders if this question is prompted by (a) "I know better than this stupid Orbi", or (b) performance is lacking.  If the device actually performs up to expectations, being connected to the wrong Orbi may be less of a concern.

Well said!

Message 3 of 6
lmbassett
Aspirant

I wouldn't care to which node a device connected, but I have a few devices that intermittently drop will not connect to a node which is
much closer.  

On another note,  I always love when a product does not have a feature, the default answer is "No don't need it."

I'm glad you love your Orbi.  My Orbi has worked well too.  I posted the question to get some help, not bash the Orbi.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 5 of 6
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

trying to understand size of home?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7