Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reconnecting Satellite

RobertRosal
Virtuoso

Reconnecting Satellite

So I removed one of my Satellites from the management console which was connected via wireless and moved it to another location.  At this new location there is a lan cable which I will now be using.

My problem.  So now when I connect the lan cable, it just is added as a connected device and is not seen as a satellite and hence no longer set up with backhaul.  Any gurus out there that can help me get it reconnected the proper way where it shows up as a satellite and used as part of the backhaul again?

Thanks in advance.

-Robert

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Reconnecting Satellite

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Good to hear. Mark your thread solved so others will know. Glad to be of help. 

@RobertRosal wrote:

So it did some doing but I juggled everything around and was able to connect the satellites directly to the router.  I am happy to say everything is working great and working as it should be now.

Showing Backhaul as good and both satellites showing connected via wire.  Also the app on the phone and the console on my laptop both read the same now!

I am one happy camper!  

Thanks again Furry!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

- You should have not removed the satellite and just plugged in the LAN cable. Please add the satellite first wirelessly (by having it close to the router) the move it to where you want it to be and plug in the cable.
- Since you will now have a combination of wired and wireless backhaul, I’d disable Daisy Chain as it will cause issues if you have other wired devices.
Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

For wired back haul:
Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

@RobertRosal wrote:

So I removed one of my Satellites from the management console which was connected via wireless and moved it to another location.  At this new location there is a lan cable which I will now be using.

My problem.  So now when I connect the lan cable, it just is added as a connected device and is not seen as a satellite and hence no longer set up with backhaul.  Any gurus out there that can help me get it reconnected the proper way where it shows up as a satellite and used as part of the backhaul again?

Thanks in advance.

-Robert

Message 3 of 15
RobertRosal
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For wired back haul:
Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

@RobertRosal wrote:

Thanks in advance.

-Robert

Okay I get what you're saying and I will follow you're instructions but the problem now is when I power on the satellite it automatically reconnects to the router but as an attached device.  It is not found as a satellite.  I tried to reset the satellite but it does no good and reconnects and never allows me to re-add.

So I am stuck there where the satellite seems as if it won't reset and I cannot add.  I tried resetting many times thinking it was succesfully reset since the power led was blinking amber.

Again your help will be greatly appreciated!

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Fctory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, then hit the sync button in the back of the Orbi router, and then hit the synce button on the satellite. You can do this in the same room as the router with the satellite. 

@RobertRosal wrote:

Okay I get what you're saying and I will follow you're instructions but the problem now is when I power on the satellite it automatically reconnects to the router but as an attached device.  It is not found as a satellite.  I tried to reset the satellite but it does no good and reconnects and never allows me to re-add.

So I am stuck there where the satellite seems as if it won't reset and I cannot add.  I tried resetting many times thinking it was succesfully reset since the power led was blinking amber.

Again your help will be greatly appreciated!

Message 5 of 15
RobertRosal
Virtuoso

Will give it a shot, thanks Furry!

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 15
RobertRosal
Virtuoso

Furry,

So I followed your instructions and both satellites are seen and are being used as Backhaul.  After they got synced I connected them hardwired but connection type is saying 5g rather than wired.  Very strange.

So to give you some insight of my setup.  The orbi router is set to AP.  I had it that way the last time when one was wireless and the other wired, so I don't know what gives.

Any help again would be appreciated.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the system working in it's current state? Can you connect to either satellite and get internet access? 

What happens if you turn OFF the wireless satellite and leave the wired satellite ON, reboot the Orbi router and check status? 

What is the current state of Daisy Chain? Checked or Unchecked? 

Might give some time to the Orbi UI to settle and see if the status changes for the one wired satellite. 

@RobertRosal wrote:

Furry,

So I followed your instructions and both satellites are seen and are being used as Backhaul.  After they got synced I connected them hardwired but connection type is saying 5g rather than wired.  Very strange.

So to give you some insight of my setup.  The orbi router is set to AP.  I had it that way the last time when one was wireless and the other wired, so I don't know what gives.

Message 9 of 15
RobertRosal
Virtuoso

It looks to be working and I can connect to either satellites and get out to the internet.

Both are connected via wire.  I did remove the wire to see what would happen and this is what I observed.  With the satellite wire removed, it briefly lost connection and then reconnected with new IP address.  When I put back the wire, it did nothing and the IP address stayed the same, both wired and wireless show 5g.  I did not reboot the router.

Daisy chain is unchecked.

What is really weird, on my phone using the orbi app it shows 0 satellites but when I connect to the router through my PC it shows 2 satellites connected and Backhaul status is good but shows connecting via 5g and not wired, eventhough they are both wired.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is the system working in it's current state? Can you connect to either satellite and get internet access? 

What happens if you turn OFF the wireless satellite and leave the wired satellite ON, reboot the Orbi router and check status? 

What is the current state of Daisy Chain? Checked or Unchecked? 

Might give some time to the Orbi UI to settle and see if the status changes for the one wired satellite. 

@RobertRosal wrote:

Furry,

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try putting a check in the Daisy Chain box, apply and reboot everything to see if this changes anything. Some have mentioned that DS works differently on v210. If this does't change anything uncheck DS again and apply and reboot. 

Are the two satellites directly connected to the back of the Orbi router or are they connected to a LAN Switch? 

I would really give the system a day or two to settle in and see if the status changes in the UI. I've seen it where the UI needs a while to update the status of everything. 

Use the system and see how it works otherwise. I think you'll be fine in this regard. 

Message 11 of 15
RobertRosal
Virtuoso

Okay I have put the check on the Daisy Chain box and rebooted.  I see no change, seems to be the same.  I am running v210.  Should I leave it checked and just see what happens after a couple of days?

The Router and Satellites are connected to a switch.

I hope everything is fine and I am very grateful for your assistance!  So if you reply back that I should remove the check on the Daisy I will do that or else I will leave it checked for now and just monitor for a couple days and get back to you.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can try putting a check in the Daisy Chain box, apply and reboot everything to see if this changes anything. Some have mentioned that DS works differently on v210. If this does't change anything uncheck DS again and apply and reboot. 

Are the two satellites directly connected to the back of the Orbi router or are they connected to a LAN Switch? 

I would really give the system a day or two to settle in and see if the status changes in the UI. I've seen it where the UI needs a while to update the status of everything. 

Use the system and see how it works otherwise. I think you'll be fine in this regard. 

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you test the satellites directly connected to the back of the router instead of going thru this switch? 

Message 13 of 15
RobertRosal
Virtuoso

So it did some doing but I juggled everything around and was able to connect the satellites directly to the router.  I am happy to say everything is working great and working as it should be now.

Showing Backhaul as good and both satellites showing connected via wire.  Also the app on the phone and the console on my laptop both read the same now!

I am one happy camper!  

Thanks again Furry!

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Mark your thread solved so others will know. Glad to be of help. 

@RobertRosal wrote:

I am one happy camper!  

Thanks again Furry!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7