Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recovering from a lightening strike RBK 53 -satellites in AP mode ATT modem wifi left on

jasperx
Tutor

Recovering from a lightening strike RBK 53 -satellites in AP mode ATT modem wifi left on

With the videos and advice on these pages I had things working great.

Configuration is : ATT modem/router > Orbi Base in AP mode > Gigabit switch > Orbi satellites.  I had turned off the wifi networks on the ATT modem/router.

We took a lightening strike that wiped out most of my hardware, Pace Modem, Orbi router and sats, network switches, +.  

ATT came out next day and set up their equipment,  I had replacement Orbi's from Costco so within a few minutes the ATT tech had things working.  Getting the rest of the household functioning took over with a strong focus on no airconditioning.  It was already warm here in Houston. I was vaguely aware that the network was slower than before.  When I finally get down to looking I discover that the WiFi on the ATT Pace Modem/Router was left on.  This is not the recommended configuration but it is sort of working.

Here is the question.  Do I need to shut everything back down and do the setup all over?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Recovering from a lightening strike RBK 53 -satellites in AP mode ATT modem wifi left on

Thats the recommended method to do this in, however it's not set in stone. You can disable the wifi on the ISP modem and power cycle the Orbi system and leave the other devices on and after the Orbi is online, those devices should reconnect automatically. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to turn OFF the wifi on the ISP modem.

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 4
jasperx
Tutor

Furry

I had figured out that the ISP WiFi would need to be turned off.  And I was aware of the three options and had selected the AP mode after slogging through tons of posts back in Feb for my original setup.

My question was about the specific steps... is it possible with everything working to simply "turn off" the ISP WiFi with out power cycling the Orbi base, switch,  and orbi satelites and perhaps every single device currently working on the network... all 15 of them.  The videos and instructions begin with everything turned off downstream of the ISP modem.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats the recommended method to do this in, however it's not set in stone. You can disable the wifi on the ISP modem and power cycle the Orbi system and leave the other devices on and after the Orbi is online, those devices should reconnect automatically. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7