Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reducing the 5G signal strength?

Will_T
Apprentice

Reducing the 5G signal strength?

I mentioned this in another thread, but it was a bit off topic and I did not want to derail anything so am asking it here:  I reduced the 5G signal to 25% to force all devices to connect to the 2.4G. In my house the only time 5G gives me an advantage is when I am in the same room as the router.  But 2.4 is also very good there so no need for 5G.  The issue I had was a camera connecting to 5G even though it was about 80 feet from the router and through two walls. It had a poor 5G connection.  Once I forced it to connect to 2.4, the connection was better. Also my Pixel 2XL phone connected to 5G when I was in the same room as the router but did not change to 2.4 once I moved away and the 5G connection became slow. Now both the camera and phone work better when on 2.4 all the time.

But my question is, I am not sure if reducing the 5G signal has possibly adversly affected the Router to Satellite connection as that seems to only be on 5G. The backhaul status of both satellites still shows as "Good".  But by reducing the 5G signal strength have I also reduced the strength of the Router to Satellit connection?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
Will_T
Apprentice

Re: Reducing the 5G signal strength?

Just to be clear, the reason I reduced the 5G signal strength to 25% in an effort to force 2.4G connections is this. I went to: Advance>Wireless> Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac) and unchecked the "Enable SSID Broadcast" box.  Then clicked "Apply". But even after doing this, some of my devices show in the router app and in the Chrome browser as connected with 5G.  Even if I power cycle those devices, or in the case of my Pixel, turn off wifi, forget the Orbi network, then turn wifi back on and re-enter the Orbi network, the Pixel connects using 5G.  So there does not appear to be any way to turn off 5G so hence the attempt by reducing 5G power to 25%

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Reducing the 5G signal strength?

YOu might have wifi devices forget the wifi profile and then try again to connect to the SSID while you have the 5Ghz SSID disabled. The disable 5G SSID Broadcastly only does that. Disable the SSID from being seen. Or at least should hid it. The radio is actually still running and broadcasting. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7