Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Regrets, I have a few: RBR50 and ORBI21

jpthibault
Aspirant

Regrets, I have a few: RBR50 and ORBI21

I regret buying this pair beause an extra satellite (ORBI21) isn't avalable for purchase anywhere in Canada.

One of the reasons why I bought the pair was its claimed ability to easily expand.

It's not a bad WiFi solution, but I suspect that because it hasn't reached very high unit sales that it's expansion options have suffered.

I wish that I would have gone with a more popular solution.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Regrets, I have a few: RBR50 and ORBI21

@jpthibault wrote:

I appreciate your quick help, but I'm not sure that you understand my issue: I need a second satellite, that operates as the same speed as my exsiting two (RBS50 and RBR50) and a single RBS50 is not available in the Canadian market for sale.

You are SO right.  Orbi owners are scouring the used market for additional satellites. (eBay, for example).  I keep looking for another RBS50 and the asking prices are unbelievable.  I have seen no comment from Netgear.  The speculation seems to be (a) Netgear has shifted focus to the new WiFi6 product, and (b) this ghastly pandemic has disrupted the supply chain.

It is not pleasant situation.  There are a couple of possibilities:

• Any of the original Orbi satellites will fully integrate with the Orbi RBR50 router.  Depending on the internet connection speed, end users may notice no difference at all in performance. RBS20, RBS40, RBW30 all work.  The RBS50Y (outdoor) model works, but the cost is prohibitive.
  • Depending on your need, you can expand coverage with any brand of "WiFi extender".
    For example, if the problem to be solved is some device that is slightly too far away, and never moves (such garage door opener, irrigation controller, security camera, etc.) then you can extend WiFi to just that device using a product from almost any vendor. TP-Liink's N300 2.4G extender, for example, retails for $20US.

Not what you wanted to hear.  Sorry.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is Orbi21? This isn't a model rather a SSID name possibly. Do you mean a RBS20? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 2 of 9
jpthibault
Aspirant

Aw yes, you are correct. the model is RBS50.

Message 3 of 9
jpthibault
Aspirant

F/W V2.5.1.16

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS50 and RBR50 will be a good match. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 5 of 9
jpthibault
Aspirant

I appreciate your quick help, but I'm not sure that you understand my issue: I need a second satellite, that operates as the same speed as my exsiting two (RBS50 and RBR50) and a single RBS50 is not available in the Canadian market for sale.

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@jpthibault wrote:

You are SO right.  Orbi owners are scouring the used market for additional satellites. (eBay, for example).  I keep looking for another RBS50 and the asking prices are unbelievable.  I have seen no comment from Netgear.  The speculation seems to be (a) Netgear has shifted focus to the new WiFi6 product, and (b) this ghastly pandemic has disrupted the supply chain.

It is not pleasant situation.  There are a couple of possibilities:

• Any of the original Orbi satellites will fully integrate with the Orbi RBR50 router.  Depending on the internet connection speed, end users may notice no difference at all in performance. RBS20, RBS40, RBW30 all work.  The RBS50Y (outdoor) model works, but the cost is prohibitive.
  • Depending on your need, you can expand coverage with any brand of "WiFi extender".
    For example, if the problem to be solved is some device that is slightly too far away, and never moves (such garage door opener, irrigation controller, security camera, etc.) then you can extend WiFi to just that device using a product from almost any vendor. TP-Liink's N300 2.4G extender, for example, retails for $20US.

Not what you wanted to hear.  Sorry.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You may have to cast your net wider. Though it maybe fruitless as the market seems devoid of any kind of product as of late due to the current world events causing problems. You may have to settle with what you have or find something else to work with your Orbi system. 

Good luck.

@jpthibault wrote:

Message 8 of 9
Gielodaddy
Star

I share your frustration. I love my Orbi system, but I need just one more satellite to get the full coverage I want. Should have bought a 3 unit system, but those weren't available when I bought my 2 unit system so I just want to buy one more satellelite (a RBS850 in my case). I think Netgear is having some supply chain problems. At least I hope that's what it is and they aren't intentionally keeping the add-on satellites off market.

The Orbi is great. I think this is a short term issue that Netgear is struggling with. I have inquired through many channels when the add-ons will be available and no one knows.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7