Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote Access For IP Cameras

Drake0508
Star

Remote Access For IP Cameras

Hey guys,

i am am completely new to tinkering with any type of network equipment. I am looking to see if anyone can point me to some help configuring my Hikvision cameras and Orbi to allow for remote viewing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The only article I found suggested I set up VPN services to allow for access. When I try to enable VPN in the Orbi, I get a message saying I need to do something else in the router to go along with VPN. When I hit ok, it will not let me continue.

thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2
st_shaw
Master

Re: Remote Access For IP Cameras

It's potentially a complex question.  Depending on the camera's capabilities you need an application or a web browser to view the camera.

Depending on how you want to access the camera, you will need to forward the appropriate port(s) on your router to the camera's internal LAN IP address.  If you can view your camera's live feed via a webpage on the LAN, then you could forward HTTP (port 80.)  If you use an app to view the camera, then you might need to forward a different port, such as RTSP.

For port forwarding see page 111 of the Orbi manual.  

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

This assumes you have an Internet service with a publicly accesible IP address.  Most do. If you have cellular LTE service, then probably not.

You can setup a dynamic dns service to map your public IP address to a domain name.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7