Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remote Desktop Connection Drops

roughneck1058
Aspirant

Remote Desktop Connection Drops

Hi all,

So here's my situation, before moving, I was using a standard modem router from my ISP (Spectrum) and I could RDP from my home desktop to my work laptop (so I can have a normal size keyboard/monitor and can control two PCs at once). 

Now that I moved to another place and have RBK50 set up. I could still have my desktop RDP to my laptop. But pretty much as soon as I get connected (right after I typed in my password and about to load up the laptop screen), the screen blacked out for about 2 minutes and eventually a popup showing some connection timeout message. It didn't even show the attempt to connect popup box like it normally does when disconnect from RDP. So I lowered the display settings and disabled the clipboard to see if it helped. But nothing work. Unlike other posts I saw, they were having trouble to even connect to the laptop, I could connect but as soon as there's a handshake, connection timeout would happen. I am pretty sure I didn't change anything (not hardware/softowre) on both PCs. Can anyone help me to troubleshoot? 

By the way, my PC connects to the Router, and laptop connects to the Satellite.

-- Carl.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?
Does the RDP work ok if you connect both PC and laptop to the router? Turn off the satellite to test this.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 4
roughneck1058
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38

Thanks for the reply.  FW as Firewall? I have webroot antivirus installed, but I have the firewall turned off. And so as my windows firewall (windows 10). 
As for Manufacturer, it's Arris SURFboard 8 x 4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Optimum Online 400 Mbps plan).

Size of home: roughly 2700
Distance between router and satellite: around 35ft. My house is just a regular wood made house with no concret within the wall.

Changed the channel to 11 wasn't doing any good, now on channel 6 at this point now (it was auto before)
Yes, there're about 10. but most of them had only 1 signal bar.
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast roaming, and IPv6 are disabled.
I don't see a way to set the 20/40 Mhz Coexistence to 40 only.

2040.png

Turned off the satellite but it isn't working. I can still only see my laptop's screen for about 1 second and then disconnected.  

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

FW as in Firmware...

You can get 40Mhz coexistence by unchecking 20/40Mhz Coexistence.

Can you wire up both PC and laptop directly to the router and see if RDP works using LAN connections.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7