Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote Desktop connection - jump desktop software

bsholbrook
Apprentice

Remote Desktop connection - jump desktop software

Unable to get jump desktop software to make a Remote Desktop connection through orbi into home pc.  Works fine through LAN, but not wan.  Anyone have experience or info?  Essentially and rdp or vnc type connection 

Message 1 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Re: Remote Desktop connection - jump desktop software

You need to setup port forwarding for TCP port 3389 and direct it to the LAN IP of your pc.  This exposes your pc to Internet attacks, so you are better off coming in through a VPN, or at least forwarding a random high port to port 3389 on your pc.

Message 2 of 5
bsholbrook
Apprentice

Jump has a front end handshake ahead of any vnc or rdp communications, it's not a native connections.  While the port forward mayhelp I don't think this resolves the frontend issue.  I've also never setup port forwarding on prior apple or asus routers that I've used.

Message 3 of 5
itGeeks
Apprentice

Have you ever tried TeamViewer? It woud be safer then opening a port for RDP. Give it a try its free for home use

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

I use Jump Desktop on my Mac and my iOS devices. You can absolutely set it up to use a direct connection. If you're talking about using Jump's automatic connection feature, then I can't help you, because I don't use that.  I probably never would either, because of the mysterious handshaking you are talking about.

If you setup the connection using RDP protocol (not VNC) and specify the target address as YOUR.PUBLIC.IP:3389, and open the port on your router as I described, then it will work.

An even better approach than VPN is to tunnel your RDP connection over SSH and use keys to authenticate, but I'm guessing you don't have an SSH server on your network.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7