Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remote Management via Orbi App

RobertWycoff
Aspirant

Remote Management via Orbi App

I noticed in the Orbi App, my two RBS50 satellites were not shown as connected.  I tried a few things and looked at my Orbi with the Genie App. I noticed it had a "Reboot Router" option and tried it. 

The satellites showed as connected after the reboot but the only way I can get Genie and Orbi apps to log on is remotely.

Is there a fix for this?  I understand Genie won't support Orbi after 1/31/2019, but I don't understand why I have to log into Orbi now with only the "Remote Management" option  now. 

Did something change in the app or is there some other issue I can't identify?

I'm able to log in to Orbi with my ethernet-connected Win10 computer using 10.0.0.48.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 48

Accepted Solutions
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is your mouse wireless or USB? 

Windows PC with certain web sites or all sites? 

No issues to report - printer was connected using the sync button on the RBR50.

For some reason I kept getting a response to enter the RBR50 default password even though I thought I had cchanged to password.

Once I entered the default I was able to permanently change it to password.

I think I only have the renaming of the connected devices.

I can close this issue now that I can log into the Orbi app and Remote Management is NOT greyed out.

View solution in original post

Message 44 of 48

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable Remote Managment thru the web browser connected to the Orbi router and try to connect locally? 

What mobile device and OS are you using with the Orbi app? 

Message 2 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you disable Remote Managment thru the web browser connected to the Orbi router and try to connect locally? 

What mobile device and OS are you using with the Orbi app? 

iPhone7 Version 12.1.2

I can't disable Remote Management in the 10.0.0.48 web browser interface; it's grey'ed out.

Message 3 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

10.0.0.48 where is this number coming from? Is this the IP address of the Orbi? 

What browser are you using? 

Message 4 of 48
ekhalil
Master

It looks like you have the wrong (or no) username and password stored for the local access while you have these correct for remote access.
Please try to uninstall the app and install it again, hopefully it will ask you about this information when you reinstall the app.
Message 5 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

10.0.0.48 where is this number coming from? Is this the IP address of the Orbi? 

What browser are you using? 

I am using Chrome.

I was informed about that IP address when I first installed the Orbi and needed to access the user interface, just like I use 10.0.0.1 for my XB6 gateway.

Message 6 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@ekhalil wrote:
It looks like you have the wrong (or no) username and password stored for the local access while you have these correct for remote access.
Please try to uninstall the app and install it again, hopefully it will ask you about this information when you reinstall the app.

I unistalled/reinstalled the app yesterday and it made no difference.

Message 7 of 48
ekhalil
Master

You probably need to remove all stored data forr the Orbi app after uninstalling it.
To completely remove an app and all of its data, delete the app on your phone, then in iTunes, under Library, click on Apps, right-click the app you want to delete & select delete, when prompted, move all files to trash, empty your trash. Connect your phone and sync.
Message 8 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Try IE11, FF or Opera to see if these will disable RM in the web page of the routers UI. 

You might change the admin log in PW to something else to see if the app will pick up the change and allow you to enter in new PW value...

Message 9 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@ekhalil wrote:
You probably need to remove all stored data forr the Orbi app after uninstalling it.
To completely remove an app and all of its data, delete the app on your phone, then in iTunes, under Library, click on Apps, right-click the app you want to delete & select delete, when prompted, move all files to trash, empty your trash. Connect your phone and sync.

Before I do that, there is one other thing that is different since I restarted the Orbi with Genie; when I use the "Connect with Remote Management" option when the app says "Issues connecting with "OBI46", I select the "Connect remotely" at the bottom and  I select Your Products - RBR50, it says "Switchng Products" and then connects to the Orbi.

"ORBI46" is the SSID assigned to the wifi network 

It appears I have full functionality with the Orbi App once I log in remotely.  The app really doesn't do anything I can do with the web interface.

Is it possible this is really a non-issue?

Message 10 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try IE11, FF or Opera to see if these will disable RM in the web page of the routers UI. 

You might change the admin log in PW to something else to see if the app will pick up the change and allow you to enter in new PW value...

I changed the password and IE11 showed the remote management greyed out, just like Chrome.

Message 11 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

See if the other suggestions will work. 

And you are sure your device is connected to the Orbi router and not the ISP modem right? 

Last resort maybe a full reset and setup from scratch. Possible the RM is in a bad state on the router.

@RobertWycoff wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I changed the password and IE11 showed the remote management greyed out, just like Chrome.

Message 12 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

See if the other suggestions will work. 

And you are sure your device is connected to the Orbi router and not the ISP modem right? 

Last resort maybe a full reset and setup from scratch. Possible the RM is in a bad state on the router.

@RobertWycoff wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

1.  Since I installed the Orbi a year ago, my wifi devices have always used the ORBI46 SSID, if that answers your queston.

2/  I DID have an "anomoly" with my network a few weeks ago:  I check the status of my XB6 gateway every day with the Comcast xFi app on my iPhone.  About 10 days ago, I noticed XB6 had done something and it had "turned on" the XB6 wifi signals and taken my XB6 out of Bridge Mode.  I had to put the XB6 back in Bridge Mode and the XB6 wifi was turned off.  I never used the Orbi app after that until about three days ago and that is when I found I had to use Remote Management to sign in with the app.  It also says "Switching Products" during the Remote Management signon.  

Do you know what is causing that?

Message 13 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

CC is notorious for making changes to there modems with out notifying the user. They want the wifi broadcasting so neighbors can use the public guest network for other users on CC. Possible this maybe an issue. Seems like this might be interfering some.

Can try this, change the Modem back to router mode. Disable ALL wifi radios on the modem.

Change the Orbi to AP mode. Reboot everything. Try to log in to the orbi app locally. 

You might be best served by getting your own modem. CC allows this. Get into a modem only unit with out a router. 

Message 14 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

CC is notorious for making changes to there modems with out notifying the user. They want the wifi broadcasting so neighbors can use the public guest network for other users on CC. Possible this maybe an issue. Seems like this might be interfering some.

Can try this, change the Modem back to router mode. Disable ALL wifi radios on the modem.

Change the Orbi to AP mode. Reboot everything. Try to log in to the orbi app locally. 

You might be best served by getting your own modem. CC allows this. Get into a modem only unit with out a router. 

Now that I have Gigabit, I can afford to replace my XB6 with my own modem.  I have had TW/Comcast since 1982 and I tried using my onw DD-WRT for a while, but they kept upgrading and I said to h*** with it I didn't have the time since I was working about 12hrs a day.  I think I'm safe now, so I will look into that.

Thanks for you help.

Message 15 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

If your on cable find a NG CM1000 or CM1100 or Arris 8200 or a Motorola MB8600. There broadcom based modems. I don't recommend Intel based modems:

http://www.badmodems.com/Issue3.htm

Good Luck

Message 16 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If your on cable find a NG CM1000 or CM1100 or Arris 8200 or a Motorola MB8600. There broadcom based modems. I don't recommend Intel based modems:

http://www.badmodems.com/Issue3.htm

Good Luck

I slept on it and replacing my XB6 with a retail modem still won't fix the issue that I can't turn Remote Management on and off, even with using the web interface 10.0.0.48. in Advanced Setup.

It appears my only option is to re-install the Orbi.  I guess if if I got a retail modem, it would require me to re-install the Orbi.

Am I correct in saying that replacing the XB6, I would not have any other option; I would have to re-install the Orbi?

If that is true, I might as well go ahead and try tthe re-install before I replace the XB6.

Message 17 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you should have factory reset the Orbi router and set up from scratch with IE11, FF or Opera to see if you can get RM enabled. I believe the router is just in a bad state. You might also download v210 FW file, re-load it, factory reset and set up from scratch using IE11 or FF browser to ensure you have a good FW installation. RM should be not grayed out and should be selectable as enabled or disabled. 

The ISP modem suggestion was to get you from a double NAT condition to a single NAT condtion and make things less complicated for you. 

Message 18 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes you should have factory reset the Orbi router and set up from scratch with IE11, FF or Opera to see if you can get RM enabled. I believe the router is just in a bad state. You might also download v210 FW file, re-load it, factory reset and set up from scratch using IE11 or FF browser to ensure you have a good FW installation. RM should be not grayed out and should be selectable as enabled or disabled. 

The ISP modem suggestion was to get you from a double NAT condition to a single NAT condtion and make things less complicated for you. 

I have V210.  I will attempt to set up from scratch and post back with the results.  It makes sense that a scratch setup should fix the issue.

I will not try today.  But when I do, I may come back with questions.  The Orbi has been rock-solid for a whole year and I never thought I would have to do a re-install.  Thanks.

Message 19 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya you should be fine after. I perfer to manually load FW and factory reset and setup from scratch. I recommend after you do this and you have the router all setup fully. Do a Save Configuration to file. Keep this handy so if you need to reset again, you can just re-load the config and go. 

Message 20 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya you should be fine after. I perfer to manually load FW and factory reset and setup from scratch. I recommend after you do this and you have the router all setup fully. Do a Save Configuration to file. Keep this handy so if you need to reset again, you can just re-load the config and go. 

All very good points and I will do as you suggest.  I overlooked the save config file when I did the install.

Message 21 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

It's a time saver. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

I'm trying to figure out the steps to re-install my RBR50 and satellites.

I am asking if the first step is to use the reset button on all devices.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

I am afraid I will lose connectivity to the RBR50 once I do that.  The reason I am concerned is because I now have an XB6 and it only has one active ethernet port.  If I reset the RBR50, do I need a computer to finish the RBR50 installation?  Right now my computer is connected to the Orbi and not to the XB6 modem.  I would have to disconnect the Orbi in order to connect my computer to the XB6 and then I wouldn't have a way to finish the RBR50 installation.

Or am I missing something?  Maybe use the Orbi App to connect to the network with wifi?

I did not find any "New Setup" in my version of the Orbi App:

https://kb.netgear.com/000053863/How-do-I-reinstall-my-Orbi-WiFi-System-using-the-Orbi-app

Message 23 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, it's preferred to use a wired PC connected to the RBR to set up and configure the router. Just keep the Orbi router connected to the modem and the PC connected to the Orbi. Walk thru the setup wizard on the PC. 

Message 24 of 48
RobertWycoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes, it's preferred to use a wired PC connected to the RBR to set up and configure the router. Just keep the Orbi router connected to the modem and the PC connected to the Orbi. Walk thru the setup wizard on the PC. 

When I set the Orbi up the first time, I couldn't use orbilogin.com.  I ended up (with your support help) using 10.0.0.68.  If I have to use it, will it make any difference this time around?  I plan to 1 - use the reset button on all three Orbi's 2 - Use this computer connected to the RBR50 to enter orbilogin.com and go through the setup.  I will use my existing SSID which is ORBI46, and I will put the Orbi in AP mode, just like I did last time.  I don't have to make any changes to the XG6 because it already in Bridge Mode and it has an SSID of ORBI46.  I want to use the same SSID so I don't have to change ALL my wifi devices.

Do you see any issues with this?

Message 25 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7