Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Renamed my Odbi RBR50 router

weyantb
Aspirant

Renamed my Odbi RBR50 router

Changed my new Orbi RBR50 Wi-fi network to the same name as my old one so I would NOT have to change 60 devices throughout the house, garage, and shed.

(1) Appears to have worked find (as seen in my netgear genie), however the remote unit will not stay sinked.

(2) When I go to any browser and try to go to wedsites that I've always went to before, it says their not avaialble.

(3) When trying to the Orbi app on the phone it say no Orbi network found

Questions: 

Can we chnage the name (SSID) from Orbi90 to my old wi-fi name?

What do I have to do to get the app to work on my cell phone?

Do I have to change the name on the remote and password to match the router, and if so, how do I do that?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Renamed my Odbi RBR50 router

@weyantb wrote:

Can we chnage the name (SSID) from Orbi90 to my old wi-fi name? Absolutely, yet. Every time I install a new WiFi system, I give it exactly the same SSID/password as the old one, for two reasons: (1) so that devices do not have to be reconfigured, and (2) in case I am unhappy with the new system (or it breaks) so that I can simply unplug it and reinstall the previous system.

What do I have to do to get the app to work on my cell phone? Netgear Genie does not work with the Orbi product line (see one of the posts at the top of the forum for details).  Install the "Orbi app" instead.

Do I have to change the name on the remote and password to match the router, and if so, how do I do that? No. The router will update satellites to the new SSID/password automatically.

Message 2 of 3
weyantb
Aspirant

Re: Renamed my Odbi RBR50 router

Haven't had the oppertiunity to try this yet.  Kids doing schooling, face timing with other friends..  I'll be doing it in the next week or so..

Thanks so much for the advice..  I'll let you know how it works out.

@CrimpOn wrote:

@weyantb wrote:

Can we chnage the name (SSID) from Orbi90 to my old wi-fi name? Absolutely, yet. Every time I install a new WiFi system, I give it exactly the same SSID/password as the old one, for two reasons: (1) so that devices do not have to be reconfigured, and (2) in case I am unhappy with the new system (or it breaks) so that I can simply unplug it and reinstall the previous system.

What do I have to do to get the app to work on my cell phone? Netgear Genie does not work with the Orbi product line (see one of the posts at the top of the forum for details).  Install the "Orbi app" instead.

Do I have to change the name on the remote and password to match the router, and if so, how do I do that? No. The router will update satellites to the new SSID/password automatically.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7