Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Repeated broadcast storms when using a wired satellite with RBR50

azfarm
Aspirant

Repeated broadcast storms when using a wired satellite with RBR50

I am using RBR50 with one RBS50 satellite wired to a port on the Router. The RBR50 is in router mode. I have the latest firmware (V2.1.4.16) on both the router and satellite. I have read the threads on the forum about the broadcast storms when using wired backhaul. 

I thought I had gotten past the arp storms after wiring the satellite to a port on RBR50 but after two days the network went down again. Wire shark shows the RBR50 deaf and a ton of broadbast and multicast traffic originating from the satellite. Some of the traffic is not protocol compliant (arp broadcasts with 0.0.0.0 source address!) either so clearly some horrendous bugs sitting in there.

Netgear makes it impossible to contact support so not sure where to go next other than the local landfill to deposit this $500 piece of crap.

Has anyone found a durable solution to this problem? 

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Any network switches in between the router and satellilte? if so, MFr and model#?

Using good quality LAN cable? CAT6 is recommended.

Was a full power off for 30 seconds after the FW was updated then back on performed?

Does the satellite and other devices have reserved IP addresses set ON the router? I saw one of these storms when one of my client devices had IP address conflict with the satellite IP address. You might power OFF everything accept for one wired PC and the satellite. Reboot the satellite and log into the router and set up a reserved IP address for the satellite. Then one for the PC. Apply changes. Then begine to turn ON the rest of your devices. I would reserve IP addresses for most if not all of your devices.

Message 2 of 12
azfarm
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response. I've been through these steps (Please see below for details). 

The only thing that could be out of ordinary is that I have my primary desktop wired into one of the ports on the RBR50 (that's where I am taking the network sniffs when things go bad). So the RBR50 has the WAN connection to the ISP cablemodem, wired backhaul to the Satellite, and wired connection to my PC. If took the second satellite of the picture days ago to reduce complexity. 

Read on and I'd love your thoughts on what to try next. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite?

>> Less than 100 feet

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

>> Arris Surfboard SB6141

Any network switches in between the router and satellilte? if so, MFr and model#?

>> Nope

Using good quality LAN cable? CAT6 is recommended.

>> older cable runs so it is CAT5

Was a full power off for 30 seconds after the FW was updated then back on performed?

>> Yes. Multiple times over past several days as the broadcast storms have been going on for some time. 

Does the satellite and other devices have reserved IP addresses set ON the router? I saw one of these storms when one of my client devices had IP address conflict with the satellite IP address. You might power OFF everything accept for one wired PC and the satellite. Reboot the satellite and log into the router and set up a reserved IP address for the satellite. Then one for the PC. Apply changes. Then begine to turn ON the rest of your devices. I would reserve IP addresses for most if not all of your devices.

>> Yes, the satellite has reserved IP addresses (192.168.1.2). The DHCP IP address range starts from 192.16.1.50 so there isn't a chance of an IP address conflict. 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What all connected to the RBR and Satellite when this happens?

The reserved IP address of the satellite needs to fall in the range of the default IP address pool of the router. Now out side of it. If it's out side then a STATIC IP address would be placed ON the satellite. Not the router.

Is Daisy Chain enabled or disabled on the router? Should be disabled for wire connected satellites

Message 4 of 12
azfarm
Aspirant

What all connected to the RBR and Satellite when this happens?

>> In addition to what I mentioned below, there is a connection from a netgear fast ethernet switch to the RBR50 with other wired devices (PC's, printer) behind it. All other devices (about a dozen) are connecting over wifi to either the RBR50 or RBS50 depending on where they are in the house. 

Interesting that the reserved IP address needs to be in the range of DHCP assigned IP address. What does that have anything to do with a broadcast storm? Yes, I could put a static ip address on the satellite and the reason I didn't do it is to avoid messing with multiple devices and forgetting about it, as well as avoiding the potential of a DHCP bug in the RBR50 causing IP address conflicts. (if Netgear can let broadcast storm slip out like these, anything is possible). --- disclosure: I am IP and DHCP literate, if its not already obvious. 

Daisy Chain was enabled and I have just disabled it. Will boot up the Satellite now and see how things go. The network was stable for a few days before this happened again, so let's see if the daisy chain switch does something. My bet is that Netgear has a pretty serious bug hiding in there that they need to debug and fix. 

Message 5 of 12
azfarm
Aspirant

>>Daisy Chain was enabled and I have just disabled it. Will boot up the Satellite now and see how things go.

Well, this failed miserably! The moment the satellite came up, the network went nuts. Wireshark shows ARP storms galore originating from multiple machines (including my desktop). Powered down the satellite and everyone calms down immediately. 

Any other suggestions? 

NETGEAR, are you listening??

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Standard Networking configurations with static IPs are that they are designed to work outside of the routers IP address pool. The pool is meant for reserved IP addresses. Handling of Static IP addresses is assigned ON devices, not on the router. Any reservation IPs are done on the router with in the default DHCP IP address pool. Just trying to help you keep a good working configuration and avoid any issues that maybe causing problems. Lets do it the right way if possible. Smiley Wink

Yes, Daisy Chain should be distable for wired backhaul connections with satellites.

Also you can swap out this one satellite and test with the other one if needed...Keep us posted.

Message 7 of 12
azfarm
Aspirant

Thanks for trying to help. I *do* appreciate it 🙂

I think at this time, the one item remaining to try and isolate is to move my desktop PC off of the port on the RBR50 and behind the nertgear switch. If that doesn't work, I am out of ideas. Will post the result once I get around to it.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

See how the disable Daisy Chain goes. Good Luck.

Message 9 of 12
azfarm
Aspirant

Well, no go.. 

Disabled Daisy Chain, removed other PC with wired connection into the RBR50. So now, only one satellite wired into the RBR50. The moment I connect the satellite, the network gets toast. Tried resetting the satellite and re-syncing. Same experience.

If the satellite backhaul is over wireless, things work ok. The moment the backhaul is wired, the network gets toasted (yes, I reset the satellite between trying out the different configurations). 

Sigh.. Conclusion.. Wired Backhaul is *not* ready for primetime. Too bad as I could really use it given the distance between the RBR50 and the satellite.

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the satellite the only wired device connected to the router besides the wired PC?

How long did you wait for the satellite to show top LED BLUE? Did it turn on Blue at all?

I found that when this storm happens there is a IP conflict with the satellite and some other device.

I recommend that when you first set up the router, Set up a IP address reservation for the 1 PC and the satellite on wireless connection first. Disconnect ALL other LAN and wireless devices from the router. Turn them ALL off if need be.

One the PC and satellite have a reserved IP address and the settings are saved and the router is rebooted. Connect the LAN cable between the router and satellite. Wait 5 minutes. The top led should turn on Pink then BLUE.

Can you get to this point with this method? Try this with the satellite in the same room as the router with a good quality LAN cable.

If you can, then start reconnecting other devices, one at a time...

Other are having success with getting wired back haul working:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7