Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replace Orbi with New Orbi and keep network settings?

EleanorRigby
Aspirant

Replace Orbi with New Orbi and keep network settings?

I'm going to replace an Orbi mini router with a newer "standard" Orbi router and satellites.

How do I install the new Orbi router and maintain my current network settings?

Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Replace Orbi with New Orbi and keep network settings?

@EleanorRigby wrote:

I'm going to replace an Orbi mini router with a newer "standard" Orbi router and satellites.

How do I install the new Orbi router and maintain my current network settings?

If you're talking password, just change the default to the same password you had before once setup.  Other settings MAY be able to be  transferred from a file if you saved it dependent upon if the new Orbi can upload those settings.  If it were me, I would just install the new one, change the password and then manully deal with the inner settings.

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The new Orbi will come with a default WiFi name and password printed on the product label.

During the setup, change the WiFi name and the password to exactly what you had before.

If you have assigned IP addresses to any devices, you will have to do that again on the new Orbi.

(p.s. I do this every time I purchase a new WiFi router.  On my fourth one now with the same WiFi name and password.)

Message 3 of 5
EleanorRigby
Aspirant

^Thanks. Yes, I think this answers my question.

For example:

existing network is xxxx, password yyyy

During installation of new router, which will go directly to modem, do I first set it up wireless and connect to existing network, or should I plug it into my ethernet switch?

Then during setup, I enter network xxxx, pw yyyyy and it should sync with the system?

Last question--any tips on how to assign new IP addresses? I'm not certain how that's done

I really appreciate the help!

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@EleanorRigby wrote:

^Thanks. Yes, I think this answers my question.

For example:

existing network is xxxx, password yyyy

During installation of new router, which will go directly to modem, do I first set it up wireless and connect to existing network, or should I plug it into my ethernet switch?  Unplug the existing WiFi system.  Plug the Orbi WAN (yellow) port into the modem.  This is the first time a "switch" has been mentioned.

Then during setup, I enter network xxxx, pw yyyyy and it should sync with the system?  During the Orbi setup, it will ask if you want to change the WiFi name (SSID) from the one on the label, and you enter the WiFi name that your system had before the Orbi.  Then, it will ask for a password, which you set to the same as the previous system.

Last question--any tips on how to assign new IP addresses? I'm not certain how that's done  If you have not "assigned" IP addresses to any devices, then there is no need to do it.  Many users decide that they want certain devices, such as printers or NAS systems to have a reliable IP address.  On the Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN setup, those devices can be given an IP address which they will get every time they connect to the Orbi.  I did this with my printer and with my security cameras.

I really appreciate the help!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7