Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replace RBR20?

pjewett
Guide

Replace RBR20?

Hi All,

I've had an Orbi RBR20 with 3 satellites (including outdoor model) for a few years now and have been happy enough. I've always had no choice it seems but to run it in AP Mode due to incompatibility (separate streams for cable and internet) with Fios setup.

However, now that I'm working from home I have my work laptop on my network and I want it isolated from my home network. Guest Network while in AP mode still leaves my network visible.

Assuming the above can't be remedied what Orbi products are actually fully compatible with Fios so I don't have to use it in AP mode....or what model will allow me to create an isolated network for work hardware and guests?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Replace RBR20?

You'd want something that supports vlans. And most consumer models don't. Business models do. 

What issue are you running into with putting the work computer on the guest network? Just trying to figure out whats going on and what you're attempting to achieve. 

Message 2 of 12
pjewett
Guide

Hi, thanks for the reply. Well, I'm trying to (have tried) to accomplish two things. The way I see it they are connected.

Equipment

Verizon Quantum Gateway Router (Fios)

Orbi (RBR20)

(2) Orbit Satelites (RBW30)

(1) Outdoor Orbit Satelite (RBS50Y)

Current Setup

Wifi radios turned OFF on Quantum Router

Orbit in AP mode.

Goal 1 (Security)

I want my home network as secure as possible with my company issued laptop now reguarly on my wireless network. I've confirmed that my Orbi in AP mode allows guests to see each other and my local network. This is checked and greyed out in Guest Network settings of my Orbi. I and my wife's work laptop are on this guest network and we see each other and other local services/machines. We have our work laptops set to Public and they still appear on the guest network. Bottom line- I don't want my employers accessing any of my local home network.

Goal 2 (Use Orbi in Router mode)

If I can user my Orbi in Router mode I'm thinking I can setup a truly isolated guest network and I'd like to be able to use it's other features. We also use STB's for TV service so I've been reading up on Moca adapters but haven't been able to confirm what my scenario would be (ie., do I need WAN or LAN adapters, etc.).

Thanks very much for your time.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

Put the orbi in router mode. Go into the quantum router and set the orbi's ip address into its DMZ. 

then try the guest network on the orbi. Guest network is disabled when its in AP mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Message 4 of 12
pjewett
Guide

OK, I tried that last night and immediately saw my Orbi's IP revert 10.x.x.x (double nat?)Flipped it all back because needed to be up and running for work today. What are the drawbacks to doing this? Do I need to turn off/change anything else but the wifi radios on the verizon router?

I see all these people talking about moca bridges when using own router with Verizon (when have TV and need guides, etc.)

I'll try again.

Thanks

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

when its in router mode, it needs a unique ip address from the quantum router. when the netgear detects its default ip address in use (the quantum) it'll default to the 10.0.0.* address. Thats expected. Putting its ip address into the quantum's DMZ forwards all the info directly to it and prevents the double nat. 

Drawbacks? slightly increased ping (but not much). 

Message 6 of 12
pjewett
Guide

I guess what makes me nervous is putting anything (especially a router) in a dmz...for security reasons. But hoping it's not risky due to a networking concept I don't understand. lol

Again, thanks and I'll be trying this asap. Will report results back.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

When you put the netgears ip address into the dmz, the netgear is acting like its going modem--->router. Not modem--->router----->router

I've done it a couple times when I'm wanting to use more than 1 router but not using ap mode (testing multiple routers)

Message 8 of 12
pjewett
Guide

I put the Orbi in Router mode and set the DMZ in the Verizon router to its 192.168.1.x address. After the Orbi restarted it changed to the 10.0.0.1 address but now the DMZ is still pointed at the old address. When I attempt to change it the new Orbi address doesn't appear in the dropdown and when I attempt to specify one, it only allows a 192. address....

What did I miss?

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Usually you can only put one address into a dmz. Delete the 192.****** that you entered. When you connect the orbi and it assigns it the 10.0.0.1 address, then enter that into the dmz. 

Message 10 of 12
pjewett
Guide

OK, Orbi is in Router mode and I've rebooted it a couple times. I power cycled the Verizon equipment too but I see no way to delete the options in the DMZ dropdown.

I see a lot of my wifi devices listed there and there's an option to specify an address but is forcing 192.168.1.X, only allowing me to populate the end of the address.

My internet is up and see Orbi assigned 10.0.0.x addresses but I also see the Verizon router has assigned 192.168.1.x addresses to the same stuff.

The DMX dropdown must be scanning the network but I'm still not seeing the Orbi there. I'm doing all this from my Mac on its wireless connection but I have the option to go to Ethernet if that is what I need to do.

Frustrating....

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

I don't have verizon or any of they're equipment so its tough to know exactly what its doing. You might try contacting them on setting up the DMZ option on it properly. They (should) have a better idea on their equipment how to set it up

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7