Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacing RBR40 with RBR50

tgarvey
Tutor

Replacing RBR40 with RBR50

Hello, I have had an RBR40 with three RBS20s for about a year now, in a 3200sf home.  I have had recurring problems with both satellite disconnects and general loss of internet.  It has gotten a bit better with the FW updates, but it is still a regular occurence that I have to reboot the RBR40.  The RBR40 is on 2.3.5.30 and the RBS20s are on 2.3.5.26.

Any thoughts on whether upgrading from the RBR40 to an RBR50 would make a difference?

Thanks,

Tom

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed after last FW update? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

IT would be best to troubleshoot your current setup and narrow down where the issue really is as changing to another different model may only see the same problems. 

Message 2 of 6
tgarvey
Tutor

Thank you for the response, Furry.  To answer your questions:

*I have a Netgear CM700 cable modem.

*My house is 3200sf/two storeys.

*Two satellites are about 30' from the router, the third is another 30' from the closest other satellite.  I have daisy chain enabled.

*I see six neighbors' networks.

*Beamforming, MIMO and WMM were already on.

*I have not done a factory reset since the latest FW update.  Is that recommended?

*I changed the 2.4ghz channel from Auto to 6.  I changed the 5ghz to 40. 

*I turned off 20/40 coexistence.

*I rebooted since making these changes.  I'll see if the changes make any difference.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@tgarvey wrote:

Thank you for the response, Furry.  To answer your questions:

*I have a Netgear CM700 cable modem.

*My house is 3200sf/two storeys. Is this a single or multi level home?

*Two satellites are about 30' from the router, the third is another 30' from the closest other satellite.  I have daisy chain enabled. 

*I see six neighbors' networks.

*Beamforming, MIMO and WMM were already on.

*I have not done a factory reset since the latest FW update.  Is that recommended? Yes. See odd issues with users continuing to use the system after a FW update. Seems that a reset has resolved most of these kinds of oddities. 

*I changed the 2.4ghz channel from Auto to 6.  I changed the 5ghz to 40. Are these channels not being used by any neighbors? 

*I turned off 20/40 coexistence.

*I rebooted since making these changes.  I'll see if the changes make any difference.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
tgarvey
Tutor

It's a two-storey house.  All gear is on the first floor.

I'll do the factory reset.  

My neighbors are using 1, 5 or 11.  I'm on 6.

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation