Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reserved IP addresses and domain name DHCP support needed

RonV42
Luminary

Reserved IP addresses and domain name DHCP support needed

Coming back to Netgear from another competing product an item that is missing from the firmware on Orbi is more robust DNS/DHCP support.  When I reserve IP addresses in the LAN settings on a MAC by MAC baisis along with assigning a name it doesn't use the name as a DNS name.  Addtionally there is no way of assinging a domain name to the internal network. 

I have found by having a non-dotted domain name with DNSMasq that is used in other routers solves all sorts of name resolution isues with products that use web interfaces to configure such a IP cameras, NAS, etc.

What I am asking for is for the Orbi firmware to allow the name defined for the reserices IP/MAC combination  to be used as the DNS name and also provide for the domain name to be defined and delivered by DHCP option 15 to those receiving their IP address via DHCP.

Thanks.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Reserved IP addresses and domain name DHCP support needed

Hello RonV42

This is a great idea I would suggest posting this on the idea exchange board.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7