Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reset admin password in the SET PASSWORD screen in ADMINISTRATION not working

w2usf
Tutor

Reset admin password in the SET PASSWORD screen in ADMINISTRATION not working

I know my password and can sucessfully login. However the SET PASSWORD screen does not permit the change When I clink on APPLY nothing happens - no errors messages displayed and must click on cancel to escape.  The old passwaod in correct and the doulble entry for the new password matches. 

Tries numerous times even with a wired connection. Mine is an RBR50 with 2 satillites and the latest firmware.

This is frustrating as the password reset should be simple

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Reset admin password in the SET PASSWORD screen in ADMINISTRATION not working

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What browser are you using? Try IE11, FF or Opera? 

Message 2 of 14
w2usf
Tutor

Re: Reset admin password in the SET PASSWORD screen in ADMINISTRATION not working

Firmware V2 31.44 just downloaded earlier in the day. Brower is  Chrome

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try IE11, FF or Opera? 

Message 4 of 14
w2usf
Tutor

Thanks for the tip.  I have several other browers installed.  They are not curative.

It seems unlikly it is a browser problem or that a simple password reset is browser dependant. In any case I see no advisories concerning incompatibility by NetGear.

It seems to be a software flaw ny NetGear is ignoring.

Liklly the cure is a hard rest. 

Message 5 of 14
randomousity
Luminary

Just to check, you don't have your browsers or a password manager auto-filling the password for you, do you? Like, you think you changed the password, but it was actually overwritten by a saved password, so the password you submitted was really just your current password?

Also, you could try using the Orbi app to change the password if the web form isn't working for you. And, as another thought, some browser settings/add-ons can interfere with things. Privacy settings, cookies, ad blockers, tracking blockers, etc., have all caused issues with submitting forms (generally, not specifically with router configs) for me in the past.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Will have to check on this. No body else has posted about this....

@w2usf wrote:

Thanks for the tip.  I have several other browers installed.  They are not curative.

It seems unlikly it is a browser problem or that a simple password reset is browser dependant. In any case I see no advisories concerning incompatibility by NetGear.

It seems to be a software flaw ny NetGear is ignoring.

Liklly the cure is a hard rest. 

Message 7 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

Have you rebooted that router since upgrade?  May want to try that and see if it clears out whatever is preventing it from working.

If that doesnt do it, I would recommend a factory reset now that .44 is on there to eliminate any unknown variables.

Please let us know what you end up doing.

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Does yours work @Chuck_M 

I'll check on mine this evening. 

@Chuck_M wrote:

Have you rebooted that router since upgrade?  May want to try that and see if it clears out whatever is preventing it from working.

If that doesnt do it, I would recommend a factory reset now that .44 is on there to eliminate any unknown variables.

Message 9 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does yours work @Chuck_M 

I'll check on mine this evening. 

@Chuck_M wrote:

I will check this functionality when I get home this PM.

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Setting a new Admin PW is working for me on the RBR50 with v44 loaded using IE11. 

Message 11 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

Worked fine for me using Chrome and .44

Message 12 of 14
w2usf
Tutor

Thank you one all for the thoughtful comments.

I will do a factory rest as soon an I am able to retrieve the satellites that are in remote area of my home.

While the Orbi mesh system has performed admirably for some four months, I am disappointed in the Net Gear 90 support policy.  Effectively it adds up to no support unless one opts in to the service contract which begins to approach the cost of the product in just a few years.  

I say this because these are consumer products intended for the non-technical consumer. Leaving the end-user to their own devices- having to experiment with an array of Web browsers as some of you have suggested- is hardly a consumer-friendly product. Routine password changes are not only necessary but a vital security feature in the pervasively hostile Web environment.  And such routine changes should be achieved by the popular consumer Web browsers in use. The answer is not an expensive Net Gear security product.

Knowing what I now know about mesh networks and the Net Gear ORBI, I may have well selected the Deco mesh products.  

Thank you again. Spending your valuable personal time to respond is much appreciated. I’ll post the results of the hard reset  

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

It should work. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7