Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Resurrecting my Orbi Satellite from the almost dead (RBS40) - firmware appears to be corrupted

c00labah
Aspirant

Resurrecting my Orbi Satellite from the almost dead (RBS40) - firmware appears to be corrupted

My Orbi RBS40 satellite is 'as new' - it has sat in a cupboard since it was bought.

Unfortunately, it appears that the firmware is corrupt.  

• It cannot join the router - persistent purple ring
  • Tried hard reseting (both with power out and power in) numerous times, with no success
  • Tried manual firmware update (tftp) - cannot find route to host
  • Tried nmrpflash - cannot find route to host

The underlying issue appears to be that 192.168.1.1 is not being exposed at all (ie, this address cannot be pinged).

The only way to go beyond the purple ring is to connect the satellite directly to the router by ethernet cable.   This appears to sync (blue ring), but it seems to be in some strange DEV mode - there are 4 entries showing on the attached devices list in the router (see attached screenshot).  The satellite is able to be pinged (192.168.1.37), but if I try to navigate to 192.168.1.250, it gives a 500 (internal server error).

Is there anything I can do to reflash the firmware or resurrect the device? 

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Re: Resurrecting my Orbi Satellite from the almost dead (RBS40) - firmware appears to be corrupted

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Resurrecting my Orbi Satellite from the almost dead (RBS40) - firmware appears to be corrupted

@c00labah wrote:

The satellite is able to be pinged (192.168.1.37), but if I try to navigate to 192.168.1.250, it gives a 500 (internal server error).

Can you open a web browser to http://192.168.1.37 ?

Message 3 of 5
c00labah
Aspirant

Thanks very much for your reply.  Unfortunately following these steps doesn't work.

I simply can't ping 192.168.1.1 - it tells me 'request timeout'.  Not a single ping is successful.

If I soft reset (orange light), the satellite gives me a short burst of 4 successful pings at around 20 seconds after restart at 192.168.1.250, but after that it tells me 'request timeout'.

I can't navigate to 192.168.1.10 (the static IP that I've set), nor can I navigate to 192.168.1.250 (internal server error).

Anything else I can try?

Message 4 of 5
c00labah
Aspirant

No, I can't browse to the static IP I've set.  As per my reply above, browsing to 192.168.1.250 returns '500 - internal server error'.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7