Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ring Cameras not connecting to Outdoor Orbi (RBS50Y)

freesole
Aspirant

Ring Cameras not connecting to Outdoor Orbi (RBS50Y)

Hi All,

I seem to be struggling with my newly purchased Ring outdoor cam's and my Orbi system. I have the RBR50 and the RBS50 satellites. The camera's are outdoors and seem to want to connect to my router only which is at the opposite end of the home (inside). Additionally, I purchased the RBS50Y (Outdoor Orbi Extender) and frustratingly enough, the cameras seem to ignore it completely. 

I've followed some of the tips on the thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Best-Performance-for-Ring-Devices-Orbi-Config-Settings/td-p/17...) but still am getting weak signals to the Ring cam's. I am tempted to return my outdoor Orbi at this point and potentially my Ring cam's also. 

Any tips or advice here? My home is only about 2k square feet so it's not huge. 

Thanks,

freesole

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Ring Cameras not connecting to Outdoor Orbi (RBS50Y)

@freesole wrote:

Additionally, I purchased the RBS50Y (Outdoor Orbi Extender) and frustratingly enough, the cameras seem to ignore it completely. 

Is is correct to assume that the RBS50Y is outdoors on the same side of the house as the Ring cameras?

My Orbi has "Fast Roaming" enabled.  One of my favorite tests is to bring up the Orbi Attached Devices web page on my phone or tablet (easier to see the screen on the tablet) and then walk around the house (s-l-o-w-l-y) and see when the display suddenly shows the tablet being connected to the satellite rather than the router.  Only certain WiFi devices are designed to "roam".  One would expect to see that the device would switch from the indoor Orbi to the outdoor RBS50Y (and back again).  That would verify that indeed the RBS50Y is properly connected to the Orbi router and working.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Also check Daisy Chain as well. Might disable this if it's not. 

You can also turn down the power output of the wifi radios on the RBR as well. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@freesole wrote:

Hi All,

I seem to be struggling with my newly purchased Ring outdoor cam's and my Orbi system. I have the RBR50 and the RBS50 satellites. The camera's are outdoors and seem to want to connect to my router only which is at the opposite end of the home (inside). Additionally, I purchased the RBS50Y (Outdoor Orbi Extender) and frustratingly enough, the cameras seem to ignore it completely. 

I've followed some of the tips on the thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Best-Performance-for-Ring-Devices-Orbi-Config-Settings/td-p/17...) but still am getting weak signals to the Ring cam's. I am tempted to return my outdoor Orbi at this point and potentially my Ring cam's also. 

Any tips or advice here? My home is only about 2k square feet so it's not huge. 

Thanks,

freesole

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

do the cameras work as they should?

Message 4 of 7
freesole
Aspirant

Cameras have a hard time performing live view due to low connectivity. I would have to wait probaly 30s - 1min or more for it to load. 

Message 5 of 7
freesole
Aspirant

What would you recommend the value be? Is the idea that the lower the radio signal from the router, the more likely it is that the Ring camera will divert to a satellite?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try 75% first then see now the camera operates, then try 50%. You can always put the power back. 

@freesole wrote:

What would you recommend the value be? Is the idea that the lower the radio signal from the router, the more likely it is that the Ring camera will divert to a satellite?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7