Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ring Door Bell

Endorphine71
Apprentice

Ring Door Bell

Just setup my Orbi system and didn't haven any trouble with over 15 different devices, except my Ring Door Bell.

No matter what I do it won't connect to the Internet.  It connects to Wifi and gets an IP address some of the time, but then will time out and say it cannot connect to the Internet.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Message 1 of 61

Accepted Solutions
Liteczar
Initiate

Solution: Hi I have just spent the day troubleshooting Ring and Orbi and have found out the following.

If your Orbi is set to a 2.4ghz wireless channel over 11 the Ring doorbell will not see your wifi. As the wireless channel is auto selected this would explain why some users have no problem and other users cannot connect.

Disabling/enable mu-mimo and beamform will sometimes cause a channel change hence why it helps some users. But it is nothing to do with the problem and can be left on or off.

So if you want your Ring doorbell to work select a wireless channel below 11 in your Orbi wifi conf.

View solution in original post

Message 46 of 61

All Replies
Endorphine71
Apprentice

So I contaced Ring Support and this is what they tell me.  Is there any possibility of having an advanced feature where you can have unique SSID's?  I know this sort of defeats the purpose of making it easy to use, but would solve some problems with devices that don't work well with multiple AP's and the same SSID.

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you.

The reason the setup will not complete is the netgear orbi is a mesh network.

We are not compatible with mesh networks. In order to resolve this you would need to have one of the access points nearest the ring have a unique SSID.

Thank you for contacting Ring and have a wonderful day.

Best,

Ring Community Support

Message 2 of 61
netwrks
Master

if you have another wireless router sitting around, set it up as an Access Point, (ethernet cable connect to Orbi) and create a nique SSID for the door bell. Ensure close enough proximity for door bell connectivity.

EDIT: I guess I just reiterated what your vendor support said..

Message 3 of 61
schpeen
Tutor

I am using the Orbi system and I have 1 Ring Doorbell Pro, 1 Ring Original Doorbell and 2 Ring Stick up Cams. All seem to work fine for me. 

Message 4 of 61
Endorphine71
Apprentice

Thanks for the info.

Did you have to change your SSID at all?  I had two different ones with my Netgear Nighhawk X6, and had to go to a different one with the Orbi.

I am going to try hooking it up with the old router using the new SSID/password and see if I switch the Orbi back on it will work.  Ring seems to be quite the buggy product.

Message 5 of 61
Dima1007
Aspirant

Just to share my experience: I spent hours trying to connect Ring. Then I went to wireless settings in advanced setup of Orbi and disabled the beamforming. Ring connected right away. I enabled the beamforming back and so far for the second day the doorbell is staying connected.

Message 6 of 61
Dima1007
Aspirant

Actually I had the same issue with Arlo Q camera and the above trick helped to connect it as well. I guess all devices that use 2.4 channel to connect cannot find it whem beamforming is enabled. Once they are connected, they are staying on it.

Message 7 of 61
Endorphine71
Apprentice

Thanks for the tip.

I will give it a shot and let everyone know if it works.  

Message 8 of 61
schpeen
Tutor

I am curious is this below the Beamforming option you are talking about that you turned off??? Mine has always been off....strange. 

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices

Message 9 of 61
Endorphine71
Apprentice

Well I just tired turning off the implicit beamforming and it made no difference.  I saw that the Ring was getting an IP address in the router table.

For fun turned off the Orbi, fired the X6 back up with the old settings and tired connecting it that way.  Again, it would get an IP address but fail to "connect to the Internet".

Either it is faulty or my account is messed up.  I sent them another support e-mail to see if they can check it.  Hopefully they will have an idea of what to do or it is going back to Costco.. LOL.

Message 10 of 61

@Endorphine71 wrote:

So I contaced Ring Support and this is what they tell me.  Is there any possibility of having an advanced feature where you can have unique SSID's?  I know this sort of defeats the purpose of making it easy to use, but would solve some problems with devices that don't work well with multiple AP's and the same SSID.

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you.

The reason the setup will not complete is the netgear orbi is a mesh network.

We are not compatible with mesh networks. In order to resolve this you would need to have one of the access points nearest the ring have a unique SSID.

Thank you for contacting Ring and have a wonderful day.

Best,

Ring Community Support

i think they are confused on the mesh part

what they are suggesting is it wont work because of the shared ssid as the orbi is not a mesh network at this point , its a star topology network

it makes no sense that the ring door bell cant work with a system with the same ssid names as the door bell should just connect to the closest

i have seen others complaining about this so your not the first to have this issue

it seems to be if the door bell connects to the sat that the issue arrises , if the door bell connects to the router it seems to be fine indicating its a data path issue from sat to router

pete

Message 11 of 61
GeekGear
Guide

Same experience for me.  I removed my previous router and setup Orbi with the same SSD and passphrase.  All of my wireless connections came back up.

Message 12 of 61

@GeekGear wrote:

Same experience for me.  I removed my previous router and setup Orbi with the same SSD and passphrase.  All of my wireless connections came back up.

so that suggest even the ppl from ring boor bell dont know why the orbi is causing the issue , im guessing it has to do with the mac address handling of the orbi sat and how the door bell communicates as if you have the door bell connected to the router and not sat it works , perhaps the sat is striping the doorbell mac address with its own like normal repeaters do ? just a guess

Message 13 of 61
GeekGear
Guide

Your setup maybe good and you don't realize it.  If you are testing by going to Live view that is a false test.  I discovered once I created motion at the camera the Live view started to work.  It appears as if the Ring cameras do connect but for some reason the Live view thinks the WIFI is not yet connected.  Once motion is created the Live View must get some kind of refresh. 

Message 14 of 61
jjon90
Guide

I just completed my new Orbi router and Satellite install. I used the exact same SSID and Passcode for the router I replaced (Asus RT-AC5300) and had NO problems with my Ring Door Bell Pro. The only hiccup I had was having to ask Alexa to rediscover my Phillips Hue devices. I have around 40 devices connected with no problems. Orbi is outperforming the router I replaced!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 15 of 61
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello jjon90

Glad to hear you are enjoying orbi.

DarrenM

Message 16 of 61

hi jjon90 

just check the attached devices list and see if the ring door bell is connected to the router or sat 

pete

Message 17 of 61
jjon90
Guide

It is connected to the Orbi router not the satellite. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 18 of 61
alanfca
Guide

I have Ring Doorbell Pro and connected just fine to Orbi.  No issues.

Message 19 of 61

@alanfca wrote:

I have Ring Doorbell Pro and connected just fine to Orbi.  No issues.

and again is it connected to the router or sat ?

Message 20 of 61
seanski
Initiate

Any updates on this?  I just got a Ring doorbell and am having the exact same issues.   I've tried disabling beamforming, disconnected the Orbi satellite, etc, but no dice.

Message 21 of 61
schpeen
Tutor

Not sure why you are all having problems. I have 1 Ring Doorbell original, 1 Ring Doorbell Pro, 2 Ring Stick up Cams, and 2 Ring Chimes....all of them work on the Orbi, and all connected just fine. 

Message 22 of 61
schpeen
Tutor

Try Turning MIMO off as well and give it a try. In all honestly I have beamforming, and MIMO turned OFF on my Orbi. With bothof those on I seem to have issues with some stuff so I turned it off. 

Message 23 of 61
jjon90
Guide

Make sure you have at least 16V at the ring doorbell connection. If the voltage is ok try a hard reset (disconnect power to ring for a few minutes then reconnect power) then try the setup again.

Message 24 of 61
seanski
Initiate

@jjon90 that sorted it out for me, thanks!   After plugging it back in I noticed it was down to 50% battery (despite being full a day earlier).  I let it charge to full and gave it another shot.   The setup said it failed, but the device appeared in the app regardless.   That said it didn't actually respond to any rings or motion.   I repeated the setup another 2-3 times with it failing at various points with similar results, before it finally succeeded and things are GTG.

I since reenabled the two settings I disabled and it's having no issues.

Message 25 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7