Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ring Doorbell 2 and Orbi

Orbi
Star

Ring Doorbell 2 and Orbi

Problem: Ring Doorbell 2, Liveview shows black screen or some other error.

Solution: Uncheck Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence.

Storyline:

I recently bought the Ring Doorbell 2 and spent hours and days trying to get it to work with orbi, following everyones suggestions with MIMU, Beamforming, Daisychain on/of, reserve a static IP address in DHCP.... NOTHING WORKED.

When I say it doesn't work, I mean specifically liveview.  This would either come up with a black screen or error messages saying your device cannot connect to ring.  For some reason it would work right after you ring the doorbell but a few minutes later it would fail to work.  I could actually call from outside the network (ie use cell data) to liveview and sometimes it would work.

I talked to lvl 1 tech support as ring, that wouldn't let you go to lvl2 until you jumped thru the hoops at least 5 times.  Finally a lvl2 tech told me that the problem might be because router might be trying to talk to the doorbell on the 5ghz that it would cause interference since ring is only a 2.4ghz.  I figured it because they used poor antennas since my Rasberry Pi Zero W is 30 feet away from the router and still is able to get a full signal.  In any case, it got me thinking to what the solution is.....This kind will be rude to your neighbors,  but atleast in the mean time your ring will work until they get their tech together.  Uncheck Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence.  I think what this does, is it doesnt bother with the 40Mhz which I think the ring is having problems negotiating with and strictly uses the 20 Mhz bandwidth.  Anyway this worked for me, I hope this helps you because I totally wasted a bunch of time with Ring tech support who had no clue what it could be.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Thanks for sharing your solution with everyone.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 14
tfbj
Aspirant

I was having a similar issue with a Ring Spotlight Cam. This suggestion seems to have corrected the black screen on Live View. Thanks for sharing.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 14
Kshelden
Aspirant

Where exactly do you “ Uncheck Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence” ?

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be located under Basic/Wireless Settings I believe...

@Kshelden wrote:

Where exactly do you “ Uncheck Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence” ?

Message 5 of 14
waynejs
Tutor

Thanks so much for the tip!  I just bought an Orbi and I had the exact same problem with two of my Ring Doorbells (my Doorbell Pro was fine).  After I unchecked it, I can now use Live View again. 

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it worked. Enjoy.

@waynejs wrote:

Thanks so much for the tip!  I just bought an Orbi and I had the exact same problem with two of my Ring Doorbells (my Doorbell Pro was fine).  After I unchecked it, I can now use Live View again. 

Message 7 of 14
Cicloforza
Guide

I too had problems with activating Ring 2 Live View (blank screen or just reverted to previous menu), had tried other solutions with either temporary on no improvement.  Today I tried disabling (unchecking) Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence and it immediately fixed the problem, hopefully permanently.  If this changes, I'll report. Thanks, Orbi Star for your help.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hope this helps others. 

@Cicloforza wrote:

I too had problems with activating Ring 2 Live View (blank screen or just reverted to previous menu), had tried other solutions with either temporary on no improvement.  Today I tried disabling (unchecking) Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence and it immediately fixed the problem, hopefully permanently.  If this changes, I'll report. Thanks, Orbi Star for your help.

Message 9 of 14
Cicloforza
Guide

Grrrrrr....after changing the Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence setting on Orbi about a week ago with good results, the same issue (i.e., Live View takes multiple activations before starting) is now back.  Anyone had luck with adding Ring Chime or Ring Chime Pro with resolving this problem?

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 10 of 14
waynejs
Tutor

Yeah, it stopped working for me as well after a day or so.  I think it was temporarily fixed because of the router restarting after disabling 20/40 and not be cause of disabling 20/40. 

I have a ring doorbell pro (wired), two spotlight cam mounts (wired), two original ring doorbell (battery powered), and one spotlight cam battery (battery powered).  

I've noticed that the wired devices are fine but the battery powered devices have issues.  Not sure if that's the issue or if it's just coincidence.  Perhaps Orbi doesn't like the way the battery powered devices communicate with it. 

@Cicloforza wrote:

Grrrrrr....after changing the Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence setting on Orbi about a week ago with good results, the same issue (i.e., Live View takes multiple activations before starting) is now back.  Anyone had luck with adding Ring Chime or Ring Chime Pro with resolving this problem?

Message 11 of 14
Cicloforza
Guide

I only have the Ring Doorbell 2 and it's hardwired to power, so I don't think it's the battery. Have you tried adding the Ring Chime or Ring Chime Pro?  I read on another post that one of those resolved the connection issues with Orbi.

Message 12 of 14
waynejs
Tutor

Sorry, maybe a better phrase would be battery enabled device vs. non-battery enabled device.  

My Ring Doorbell Pro and Spotlight Cam mounts aren't battery enabled (works).  My ring doorbell 1 and spotlight cam batter are battery enabled (works sporadically).  This is all speculation on my part though. 

I haven't tried Ring Chime or Chime Pro yet.  My cameras that are more essential are working fine, so I haven't found the need to get one.  I hear that if you call Ring up, depending on the rep, they may send you a free Chime Pro to see if it works better.  You may want to try to see if you can get one. 

@Cicloforza wrote:

I only have the Ring Doorbell 2 and it's hardwired to power, so I don't think it's the battery. Have you tried adding the Ring Chime or Ring Chime Pro?  I read on another post that one of those resolved the connection issues with Orbi.

Message 13 of 14
Cicloforza
Guide

I talked Ring into sending me a free Ring Chime Pro that appears to have solved my Ring 2 problems, but may have knocked my Nexx Garage opener off the network. Anyone else have this issue?

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7