Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ring Doorbell Pro issues with Orbi

Thekop84
Guide

Ring Doorbell Pro issues with Orbi

Hi guys.

I am not gifted with a great it brain I was hoping some here can help me with my issue! I have a ring door bell pro along with an Orbi and one satellite. At first the Ring connected fine with the orbi for a few days then it got disconnected. When I try to reconnect it can see the wifi name but its in red? I have a few devices connected with the Orbi and they are all working fine. Any suggestions guys? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ring Doorbell Pro issues with Orbi

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Review this as see if this helps any:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649457...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. 

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 2 of 20

I have the Ring Video Doorbell and had a similar issue.  I learned somewhere that Ring doesnt work on 2.4Ghz Ch11, so change that channel from Auto (or if on Ch11) to something lower than 11.  Thats what I did and started working again.

Message 3 of 20
Thekop84
Guide

Thanks for the reply guys. I set the channel to lower then 11 but still no luck. I searched the forums and came across this. I forgot to add that I have a chime pro and it couldnt find my orbi network. After doing this my chime pro sees the network. When I tried it on my ring doorbell at first it saw it, it was in green but when It couldnt connect. I tried it again but then the network was again shown in red. Driving me crazy!
Message 4 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You review this thread? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649457...

@Thekop84 wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys. I set the channel to lower then 11 but still no luck. I searched the forums and came across this. I forgot to add that I have a chime pro and it couldnt find my orbi network. After doing this my chime pro sees the network. When I tried it on my ring doorbell at first it saw it, it was in green but when It couldnt connect. I tried it again but then the network was again shown in red. Driving me crazy!

Message 5 of 20
Thekop84
Guide

I have a ring door bell pro. This thread is in relation to the skybell?
Message 6 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

It is. Something to see if it may work for your device...

Message 7 of 20
Thekop84
Guide

No worries. I will give it a go and see how I go. I called uo Ring and they are going to send me a new one. It might just be a faulty doorbell. Thanks for all your help guys keep you posted 🙂
Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Keep us posted. 

Message 9 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Thekop84

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information FURRYe38 provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 20
sjthespian
Guide

The Ring Pro is a 5 GHz device, so changing the 2.4 channel won't have any effect. I'm also not sure that the Skybell thread will help as I don't know that it is possible to set a static IP on the Ring when you set it up. That should only be needed if there is some issue with the DHCP server in the Orbi...

Message 11 of 20
Thekop84
Guide

Thanks guys. I looked at the Skybell thread but it didnt help me. What i find confusing is the chime pro connects fine to the network and my ring doorbell doesnt. When trying to connect the ring to the chime (not even 4 metres away) it says it cant connect. I am due for a new door bell next week so hopefully that will solve the trick!
Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you get a new door bell and how it goes. 

@Thekop84 wrote:
Thanks guys. I looked at the Skybell thread but it didnt help me. What i find confusing is the chime pro connects fine to the network and my ring doorbell doesnt. When trying to connect the ring to the chime (not even 4 metres away) it says it cant connect. I am due for a new door bell next week so hopefully that will solve the trick!

Message 13 of 20
BigDGlad
Aspirant

I am looking to buy the Orbi AC3000 RBK50 and I have the RING Doorbell Pro.  Did you telenet the Orbi to set up a seperate SSID for 2.4GHz prior to lowering the channel below 11?

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Shouldn't have to separate the ssid. The issue is with the setup software of the IoT on the mobile device. The problem is with there software discovery methods.

Some users have been turning down the 5Ghz power on the Orbi's radio to let the setup mobile device connect to the 2.4Ghz radio while setting up the IoT. 

You can check to see if you see a Disable the 5Ghz Broadcast under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. If so, then you can temporarily disable 5Ghz broadcast that someone else mentione and then get your devices setup. 

Let us know how it goes.

@BigDGlad wrote:

I am looking to buy the Orbi AC3000 RBK50 and I have the RING Doorbell Pro.  Did you telenet the Orbi to set up a seperate SSID for 2.4GHz prior to lowering the channel below 11?

Message 15 of 20
BigDGlad
Aspirant

Wouldn't be easier just to seperate the SSID with telenet and assign the Ring Doorbell Pro to the 2.4GHz SSID and put all other devices (Ruko, iphones, ipads, and etc.) to the 5GHz SSID?  This way you don't have to mess with the power settings.

By the way what is loT?

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be much easier to see if you can just temparilty disable the 5Ghz broadcast or lower the 5Ghz power on the radio in the routers web page. 

Internet of Things. 

@BigDGlad wrote:

Wouldn't be easier just to seperate the SSID with telenet and assign the Ring Doorbell Pro to the 2.4GHz SSID and put all other devices (Ruko, iphones, ipads, and etc.) to the 5GHz SSID?  This way you don't have to mess with the power settings.

By the way what is loT?

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I asked one of the forum users to confirm for me that you can disable the SSID on either radio Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Uncheck the Enable 5Ghz SSID and see if this helps your setup device connect to the 2.4Ghz radio while setting up your IoT. 

@BigDGlad wrote:

By the way what is loT?

Message 18 of 20
Thekop84
Guide

Hi guys,

I ended up replacing the Ring Door Bell Pro with a brand new one and touch wood it has been working like a dram now! I have had it set up for over 4 months now without any drop outs. Perhaps it was just a faulty door bell!

Message 19 of 20
BigDGlad
Aspirant

I purchased my Orbi yesterday, set it up as normal and then telneted into it and changed the names on both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz to the names I had on my old router. I then reset the password on both to password on old router and bingo all devices set up on each SSID just like on old router. The Ring doorbell pro came online (2.4GHz) just fine and works as usual. All other devices went to 5GHz as before. Life is good and no dead spots. If you need instructions on how to Telnet, go to YouTube and search Telnet Orbi.
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7