Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ring Home Security App Live View hangs on Samsung phones Firmware Versions V2.6.1.40 and 2.7.1.60

tr6kev
Follower

Ring Home Security App Live View hangs on Samsung phones Firmware Versions V2.6.1.40 and 2.7.1.60

There is an apparent bug in Netgear's updated firmware versions 2.6.1.40 and 2.7.1.60.  Prior to updating from V2.5.2.4, my Ring App worked fine in Live Veiw for my Ring Doorbell and Security Cameras.  Once I updated the firmware to V2.6.1.40 the Live View function of the App would hang and lock up both Android phones that we have for 2 to 3 minutes.  This only happend when the phones WIFI was turned on.  There was no hang while using mobile data only. I then updated to V2.7.1.60 with the same results.

We have a Samsung S8 and a Samsung S10e.  They are both running Ring App version 3.33.0. and of course are Android phones.  I initially called Ring Support thinking there was a bug in their current App.  I was looking for a way to roll back it back to a previous version to see if that resolved the issue. There is no way to roll back their App and they had no reports or solution to the problem.  As I had some time to experiment, I rolled my Orbi RBR50 and two RBS50's firmware back to V2.5.24 and that immediately resolved the issue.

As there is no apparent way to report firmware bugs to Netgear, I am reporting this here.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ring Home Security App Live View hangs on Samsung phones Firmware Versions V2.6.1.40 and 2.7.1.6

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Something to contact NG support about. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Ring Home Security App Live View hangs on Samsung phones Firmware Versions V2.6.1.40 and 2.7.1.6

@tr6kev wrote:

They are both running Ring App version 3.33.0. and of course are Android phones.  I initially called Ring Support thinking there was a bug in their current App.  I was looking for a way to roll back it back to a previous version to see if that resolved the issue. There is no way to roll back their App and they had no reports or solution to the problem. 

Although Samsung may not provide a method to "roll back" to a previous version, the APK Mirror web site archives every release of almost every major Androidi app:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/ring-com/ring-always-home/ring-always-home-3-33-0-release/ 

All previous versions appear "down the page".

Note: If a user were to manually install a previous Ring app, the Google Play Store would immediately begin announcing that an update is available (which would annoy me).  Also, there is no assurance that a previous Ring app would function any better with the new Orbi firmware.  Your "roll back the Orbi" solution appears to be the right move.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7