Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ring Live Stream Doesn't Work With Orbi

computersteve
Apprentice

Ring Live Stream Doesn't Work With Orbi

I have tried everything to get the Orbi to work correctly with Ring doorbell live stream. I tried the latest firmware / downgrading / installing the custom firmware from Voxel. I then tried everthing listed in https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Best-Performance-for-Ring-Devices-Orbi-Config-Settings/m-p/176... .. Nothing.. You always get a problem with the live stream. My Echo shows never display when someone rings the doorbell. I found a fix but it requires you buy additional hardware such as the Ring Pro Chime Wifi Extender. @netgear please fix this problem.. Thousand of people use the Ring Door Bell & right now the orbi doesn't fuction with it correctly. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Ring Live Stream Doesn't Work With Orbi

I noticed that it has been several hours and no one has posted a response.  Perhaps a "silly question", but does the Ring doorbell function correctly with the Ring app?  And, this is a "powered" Ring device, correct? (not battery)

Message 2 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

Yes. It works fine only the Orbi doesn’t work correctly with it. If I use my isps WiFi it works but I disabled that cause I really only wanted to use my Orbi in AP mode.
Message 3 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry I wasn't clear. Ring has an "app", correct? And in addition to the Echo, the camera app also fails?
Message 4 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

Yes both fail. Then sometimes both work. The issue with the Orbi is it’s very inconsistent with live view. Sometimes it loads. Sometimes it doesn’t.
Message 5 of 30
Topspin14m
Guide

I have had no problems with my Ring live stream since transitioning to Orbi (I used to have far more frequent problems with another brand of router).  In fact, my connection has been rock solid.  Do you have an Orbi point near your doorbell?  A tricky thing with Ring is that the materials between the doorbell and your home wifi can be harder to penetrate (e.g. thick stone/brick walls, heavy insulation, etc.).  I'd try moving one of your Orbis to be behind your front door and see if that fixes it.  

Message 6 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

Well then you must be an anomily.. I have verified that connecting to either the ring doorbell pro chime extender or my ISPs wifi results in a near instant live view.. While connecting to the orbi results in a spinning circle with eventual timeout. Something isn't working correctly with the Orbi & ring. This has been complained about numorous times (Ring Orbi Issues) with no fix from @netgear. At this point I don't recommend you using a Ring Device with the Orbi. I wonder if the new Ring Doorbell 3 fixes this problem since its dualband. Still I don't think its right to have to replace 3 doorbells because of faulty networking equipment. 

Message 7 of 30
Topspin14m
Guide

I think if no Ring worked with Orbi, you’d see far more posts on this (don’t you think)? The issue is going to be the distance from the Orbi to your Ring and what is in between. You are connecting to three different devices. Are they all located in the same place? If not, your test isn’t valid. If so, you have to consider whether they are interfering with the Orbi. In any event, it’s not all created equal. If you want the Orbi to work with the Ring, I’d move it closer to the Ring.
Message 8 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

I now know its 100% the orbi. The ring extender pro works perfect. I also tried just hooking up an apple airport extreme and setting that as a dedicated access point for the Ring Door bells. They now also work that way. Everytime I switch to the Orbi network its a constant spinning circle or the stream doesn't load. Tried factory defaulting, tried Voxel, Tried disabling MMU or renabling / turning on and off fast roaming, beoforming etc.. Tried all these combinations, & it still isn't reliable. Please @netgear fix this in the firmware. The orbi isn't handling Ring products correctly. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 9 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried v16 FW? 

Please open a support ticket and let NG know if your having problems. 

Message 10 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

Almost glad my doorbell is positioned where a Ring makes no sense, so I have been spared this misery.  For these tests, the airport extreme and the Ring extender pro were located where the Orbi unit is located, correct?

Message 11 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

Correct. They are right next to each other. 

Message 12 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

I was on the latest firmware 2.5.1.16. I also tried Voxel V9.2.5.1.17SF-HW. It doesn't work correctly with a Ring Doorbell Gen 1. It just doesn't & I can't recommend this product for that reason. The point of the product is better wifi everywhere. This is not the case. 

Message 13 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

@computersteve wrote:

At this point I don't recommend you using a Ring Device with the Orbi. I wonder if the new Ring Doorbell 3 fixes this problem since its dualband. Still I don't think its right to have to replace 3 doorbells because of faulty networking equipment. 

You have three doorbells?  And all three of them behave the same? (sometimes Live Stream works and sometimes it doesn't?)

Message 14 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

Yes, 3 doorbells.. Now they are all working amazing super fast live view. Only problem is they aren't using the orbi network at all. Sad about that. There is some type of bug with the orbi & ring. If you google it tons of others are having the same problem. 

Message 15 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

Which solution did you settle on?

What is it connected to (not the Orbi?)

Message 16 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

So I decided to settle on the Apple Time Capsule.. I have them basically in both places I need them for optimal connection to the ring door bells. Since I had a wired back haul for the orbi satelites I just put them after the orbi satelites. They work perfect but still its frustrating that the orbi doesn't work correctly with Ring products. 

Message 17 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks  for the explanation.  They use the Orbi satellite - backhaul - router pathway, but not the Orbi WiFi.  What an ordeal.

Message 18 of 30
Mikey94025
Hero

This may help for you or other Ring customers: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Best-Performance-for-Ring-Devices-Orbi-Config-Settings/m-p/176....  These IoT compatibility issues often have to do with specific 2.4Ghz wireless settings, e.g., WPA vs WPA2, MU-MIMO, separate 2.4Ghz vs. 5Ghz SSIDs.  That also explains why some customers have problems whereas others do not.

Message 19 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

So this answer is exactly what I’m talking about. I tried all these “steps” and they do not solve the problem. I hope a real fix will be released from @netgear.
Message 20 of 30
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

I have 3 Ring Pro doorbells all of which work perfectly with my Orbi in AP mode.
Might be worth checking the RSSI for each device. Mine currently are -37, -48 and -49 and work really well.
Also does the Rapid Ring app give the same problems ?
Message 21 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

The ring pro is a dual band ring product. This might be why you aren’t seeing a problem. My ring devices are gen 1 only 2.4ghz.
Message 22 of 30
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

OK, I now appreciate the lack of dual band.
Do the gen 1 report RSSI ?
Any joy with Rapid Ring ?
Message 23 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

As I said.. I tried all things, Even moving the satellites right next to the rings.. The reliability is random. Sometimes it works, most of the time it just spins till it times out. I am now using Apple Time Capsules (Airport Extremes basically) that I have two separate networks.. 1 specifically for Ring devices / my orbi network. Doing this the live stream loads practically instantly. Also its something to note that the RSSI is actually worse doing this but the stream loads, meanwhile on the RSSI for the Orbi network it was always excellent but the stream most of the time didn't load. 

Message 24 of 30
Alstar2288
Tutor

This might work... it sounds assinine, but it really worked for me...I'm looking at my live stream right now and it took about 2 seconds.

***1) Turn off ONE of the motion zones on the Ring Doorbell 2 (that's what I have, I can not confirm if it will work with other Ring doorbells).

This lone change in the Ring setting seems to have fixed my live stream. Yes, I have read on this forum for the past 2 years; I've tried setting up an AP; I've moved my router (RBR) closest to the Ring Doorbell 2; I've followed so many tutorials (found in these forums) changing this and that in my Orbi router. NOTHING worked. Just yesterday, I was reading another random forum and ONE person mentioned how turning off ONE motion zone did the trick for him, I figured what do I have to lose? It has now been 24 hours since I made the change, and I can still access my live view within 2 seconds, CONSISTENTLY.

2) Other settings I followed from other people's suggestions (but am not sure if it contributed to my success...knock on wood it will remain successful), but I have tried these before to no avial on their own, but I still have them in place WITH turning off just one motion zone in my Ring Doorbell 2 setting:

- I am on channel 6 on my 2.4ghz

- I have disabled WMM on both bands

- I have disabled MU-MIMO

- I have diabled fast roaming

- I have an SSID and the password with just letters and numbers (no symbols etc...)

- My Orbi Satellite has a static IP

- My Ring Doorbell 2 has a static IP

3) My Ring Doorbell 2 is about 2 meters away from my satellite, and the Ring Doorbell 2 is connected to my satellite.

I had just recently purchased AND returned the Ring Pro b/c of the ongoing issue of not getting live stream to work consistently. The "wired" factor didn't solve my issues when trying the Ring Pro.

I hope this helps you/anyone.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7