Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ring Live Stream Doesn't Work With Orbi

computersteve
Apprentice

The only thing that worked for me was to not use the orbi & setup a router in AP mode / connect the ring devices to that. They load instantly & I don't have to disable a motion zone. I'm glad that helped you. I hope that eventually Netgear fixes this problem. 

Message 26 of 30
Alstar2288
Tutor

EDIT:

I've noticed a direct correlation between the motion zone setting and time it takes to activate live view.

- when motion zone is set at a minumum distance/deactivated, I can access live view in about 2 seconds, consistently.

- when motion zone distance increased, it took me longer to access live view

- when motion zone was set a maximum distance, very rarely was I able to access live view. I had to keep reconnecting until finally, after multiple attempts, I can access live view.

Message 27 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

So just an update... I was successful getting live stream to work using additional third party access points. The ones I originally used are the Apple Airport routers in bridge mode. The issue with this was congestion. I needed 2 additional networks on top of my orbi / ISPs wifi. So now I decided to just use my ISPs built in wifi. Doing this, It works near instantly. When connected to the RBR50 or RBS50 the live stream just stops working correctly. It works sometimes / then you try again it doesn't work. My ring devices are GEN 1 only 2.4ghz not dualband doorbells. I have three of them. So now I have my Altice Wifi (ISP) for just the Ring devices since you cant disable wifi on there gateway anyway. I wish that @netgear & Ring would get together to fix this problem. Its rediculous that you need aditional hardware to get a security doorbell camera to work with the Orbi system. This has caused me to not recommend the orbi system to my family & friends. I have tried all those tricks of disabling motion zones / just naming my SSID & password numbers & letter / Disabling / Renabling MU-MIMO / Fast Roaming / Implicit Beamforming.. The best thing that issued the most successful start of a livestream was disabling WMM on the 2.4ghz band. Problem with this is it locks the 2.4ghz band to 54mpbs. Even doing this the livestream was still hit or miss. 

Message 28 of 30
Mstrbig
Master

@computersteve wrote:

The only thing that worked for me was to not use the orbi & setup a router in AP mode / connect the ring devices to that. They load instantly & I don't have to disable a motion zone. I'm glad that helped you. I hope that eventually Netgear fixes this problem. 

That pretty much tells me your Ring still has the IP address assigned to it from the other router. You may have to reset the ring and re-configure it to grab an IP address from the Orbi DHCP server.

Message 29 of 30
computersteve
Apprentice

No, its sparadic.. It works sometimes on Orbi & always on my accesspoint. IDK @netgear is never gonna fix this problem. Just google Ring & Orbi.. Tons of problems. 

Message 30 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7