Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ring video doorbell pro w/Orbi

Danield340
Guide

Ring video doorbell pro w/Orbi

I purchased the Orbi system (RBK50) to kill a wifi dead spot at my front door for my ring video doorbell pro. After setup the ring video doorbell connected to the satellite unit which is within 10ft of the front door in the dining room. I checked the ring app and I had good signal (RSSI-52), all my problems with the ring had been resolved (very happy customer). Now I am experiencing a problem where the the ring randomly decides to switch its connection to the router which is 30ft away (RSSI -70), no conditions or settings have changed. I'm not sure where the problem resides, in the orbi firmware, or the ring firmware. either way it makes no sense for the ring to connect to the router with the satellite unit 10ft away. Right now the Router and satellite unit are about 40 ft apart. If anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. Oh another problem I noticed is that i cannot access the http://www.orbilogin.com/ from Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87, I can access through Microsoft edge using (Windows 10).

NETGEAR Router Orbi

RBS50

NETGEAR Router Orbi

V1.4.0.34
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 17
st_shaw
Master

If the doorbell is working fine, you can probably just leave it.  If it's not working well, then you can try reducing the power on the Orbi, especially the 2.4 GHz band. That will drop to -70 RSSI down farther, and should help prevent the doorbell from switching. 

Message 2 of 17
Mgomez85
Apprentice

That sounds like the band steering feature is trying to direct your connection to the router vs the sat unit I have read that the Orbi does that automatically, I wish there was a way to turn that off! 😩
Message 3 of 17
B747driver
Star

Personally, I wouldn't worry about what the doorbell is connected to as long as it's working fine.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Message 4 of 17
Danield340
Guide

It's back on the satellite ATM. It seems to be switching back and forth no clue why, no conditions have changed. The app informs me that the signal is bad and it degrades the video quality when connected to the router. 

Is this orbi web gui compatible with Chrome?

Message 5 of 17
st_shaw
Master

Did you try my suggestion of reducing power on the Orbi?

Message 6 of 17
Danield340
Guide

Since i'm already at  -70 I probably don't have to lower it much, right?

Message 7 of 17
Mgomez85
Apprentice

Are you on 5G channel or 2.4?
Message 8 of 17
st_shaw
Master

@Danield340 wrote:

Since i'm already at  -70 I probably don't have to lower it much, right?

Probably not.  You only have three choices: 75%, 50%, and 25%. You might get better results overall with lower power, depening on how large your house is.  More power than needed is not better, so don't be afraid to lower it.

Message 9 of 17
Danield340
Guide

It's still switching back and forth at 75%. Why would a device switch it's connection to a -70 signal vs -51, it makes no sense. I'm getting 2-3 sec pauses in my video feed and distortions. I'm now wondering if there is a problem with devices losing connection on the satellite unit. After i restart the ring when i get home from work it connects to the satellite with a excellent signal. It seems that sometime during the night it switches connection to the router for a terrible signal, sometimes it randomly switches back to the satellite by it's self. Is the satellite losing connection and all devices switch back to the router? Or maybe this firmware needs a ton of work. Thinking of returning, it's only been a couple of days. I bought the orbi to use mostly with smart home devices that are too far away from my office to receive signal from a big honking router. If these devices just connect to the orbi router anyway i'm at square one (terrible signal).

I'm going to move the satellite around a bit when I get home from work to see what happens.

Message 10 of 17
st_shaw
Master

75% is only a tiny 2 dBm change in terms of RSSI.  Try at 25% (6 dBm) and work up from there if you don't get the coverage you need.

The switching could be a probem with the doorbell, or you could have random interference causing the satellite to drop intermittently.  You could also try turing off implicit beamforming on the Orbi.

Message 11 of 17
Danield340
Guide

I can try when I get home from work, but I don't want to lose signal in other parts of my home. Theres some poor coding either within the Orbi or Ring don't know which.

I tried Beamforming it made no difference to I turned it back off.

Message 12 of 17
Danield340
Guide

Reducing the transmitting power only made things worse. The ring now says poor connection. it's very frustraiting because this is the only device that seems to be having problems. we'll see what ring support has to say as I have contacted them. I haven't contacted netgear support yet i figured they would reply on here.

Thinking about buying a range extender just for the ring but it might just be a waste of money.

Btw thank you for all the help/suggestions everyone.

Message 13 of 17
st_shaw
Master

Sorry we couldn't help fix it.

Message 14 of 17
Cam123
Initiate

I have almost exactly the same problem. I called ring pro customer service and followed all the trouble shooting procedures with them, which I did it before. No solution. They will send me a chime with wifi extender. They said with wireless mesh network may be the issue, why? They don't know. The ring team customer service was receptive. I hope this is it, but not sure. You can try it.
Message 15 of 17
Danield340
Guide

I called them to troubleshoot, they didn't offer to send me a chime pro. However I bought one and it seems to have helped. I'm still not 100% satisfied. I noticed less lag and the chime pro seems to latch onto the satelite router better.

Message 16 of 17
Cam123
Initiate

I appreciate the update. Once I receive and connect the chime pro I will share my experience. Hopefully, it's a good one.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7