Rkb50 router in satellite mode

Cowmad88
Follower

Rkb50 router in satellite mode

Hi, I have just purchased two rkb50 kits and was told by the salesperson at Harvey Norman that I can put the second router into satellite mode so I can then have one router with 3 satellites. Does anyone know how to do this or if it is even possible?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: Rkb50 router in satellite mode

@Cowmad88 wrote:

....... and was told by the salesperson at Harvey Norman that I can put the second router into satellite mode so I can then have one router with 3 satellites. ......

This is not completely true, unfortunately!

To have a “pure” mesh system you can only have one Orbi Router and then a number of Satellites. 
You can use the Satellite from the second RBK50 package as a second Satellite added to the first RBK50 package. 
An RBR50 Router can’t be used as Satellite, but you can connect it to your network *wired* (only wired) in AP mode to provide extra coverage but -although that you can use the same SSID in this AP as in the mesh network- this extra AP will not be part of the mesh network, i.e. you can use any router from any other brand to do this same functionality. 

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBR850 + RBS850 + 2x RBS750, Wired/Wireless Backhaul / Orbi RBR50 + 6x RBS50 + RBS40V, Wired/Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Sage

Re: Rkb50 router in satellite mode

@ekhalil was too kind.  The salesman LIED.  An Orbi router can NEVER be used as a salellite. NEVER. 

So, you have two unattractive choices:  (1) return the "package deal" and spend more money purchasing two RBS50 satellites.  (2) Use the one satellite as intended and deploy the remaining router as a dumb access point that is not integrated into the Orbi mesh network, which is something any dumb access point can do at far less cost.

I do not think most sales people lie deliberately.  They simply do not understand the product and make assumptions which turn out not to be correct.

I love my Orbi.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E