Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Roku connecting at 2.4G instead of 5G

pstoric83
Guide

Roku connecting at 2.4G instead of 5G

Hey guys. So far my Orbi has been working flawlessly since July but I had a question. I see my Roku Ultra connects to the 2.4G freq yes it's in the basement directly underneath the Orbi Satellite. I know 5G coverage is good there as my Chromecast is plugged into the HDMI port next to the Roku and it's on the 5G freq. Typically on my previous Asus router I could MAC filter the Roku from the 2.4G freq only so it would only see the 5G signal but I don't see that option in Orbi. I see access control but that seems like it allow/disallows access completely which is not what I want to do. I checked the Roku network menu but it's very simple and I don't see any advanced options in there to choose the 5G frequency.  Anything I can do other than separating out the 2.4G and 5G SSIDs or am I stuck. Not a huge deal but I would prefer the 5G as most of the stuff I stream is now 4k HDR.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
budy
Luminary

Betreff: Roku connecting at 2.4G instead of 5G

The Orbi is probably "pushing" the Roku to the 2.4GHz due to the fact that the 2.4GHz signal is much stronger. You could only work around that, by having a different SSID for the 2.4 and the 5.0GHz bands. There is a threat in this forum, that describes how to do that. On the other hand, if the Roku does fine on the 2.4GHz band - and why shoudln't it?, you might just want to leave that alone and rely on the Orbis to figure out, how the clients connect best to its networks.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 6
hccs2000
Aspirant

I have a Roku 3 purchased in 2012, and 2 brand new Roku Express.  None of them show the 5G SSID when I perform the scan from Roku Setup.  I tried putting in the info in hidden network in Roku setup and it still would not show the option.  I want to dump DirecTV and go with streaming, but I rarely get over 26M DL speed without Roku on the 2.4G SSID.  I am between 80M and 112M on 5G, which what I would prefer to connect to...  Is there a way to get the Nighthawk to run 802.11n?  Am I stuck with the channels offered in the Netgear Configurator?

Any suggestions on how to get Roku to run on the Netgear 5G would very much appreciated!

Message 3 of 6
tsig
Luminary

All of my Roku's connect to the 5g band, so no help to you there, but are you experiencing any issues on the 2.4 band?

Message 4 of 6
hccs2000
Aspirant

Single Roku no problem...  Concerned that running 3 simultaneously will be an issue...  Speed testing of the 2.4G line was all over the place at different times of the day.  Warned by Roku that speed was too slow during configuration when trying to connect to 5G and reverting back to 2.4G...  I will test farther this weekend.

Message 5 of 6
4tuneduck
Aspirant

Roku express only works with 2.4, and it will not work with 5.0.

Recently upgraded my R6700v2 firmware with smart connect. 

By enabling the smart connect feature, my Roku express will not connect to the router anymore. So that feature is useless. Have disabled it already.

Please let me know if this help and if you can add something to it. Thank you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7