Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Roku streaming+ and iPhone stick and an Orbi RBR50 - Connection issue

scb4567
Aspirant

Roku streaming+ and iPhone stick and an Orbi RBR50 - Connection issue

I have the RBR50 running firmware version V2.3.1.60. I looked at all the instructions to separate the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands. But did not realize that it was temporary. Looks like all of that reverted to its original settings again.

The problem I have is Roku by default tries to connect to 5Ghz band. When I click "Allow" it allows it temporarily. I start streaming on Roku and then after 15 minutes streaming stops because Roku is trying to connect to the 5GhZ band and Orbi blocks it out.

Same thing on my brand new iPhone8 - tries to connect to 5GHz, I allow it. And after 15 minutes it goes back to being blocked on the 5GHZ band.

Why? Because of of the settings reverted back to auto transmit. VERY FRUSTRATING !!!

Is this a firmware issue?

However, if someone can please tell me one of 2 things

1. How do I permanently disable 5GhZ from being broadcast?

2. How do I permanently get separate SSID's, so I can constantly connect my devices to 2.4GHz?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
scb4567
Aspirant

I was able to do a factory reset of the router last night and now everything works.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the FW update with a wired PC and web browser? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 7
scb4567
Aspirant

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the FW update with a wired PC and web browser? - No it has not. BUt Why do I need to do that? Do I need a factory reset everytime a firmware update happens? That would be wierd.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Got that from my cable company

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? - 3,400 sqft

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? around 30ft

What channels are you using? Yes Auto

Neighbours using WiFI - 8-9 (but they are not using my wi-fi)

Done all of those settings - with Beamforming etc.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@scb4567 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the FW update with a wired PC and web browser? - No it has not. BUt Why do I need to do that? Do I need a factory reset everytime a firmware update happens? That would be wierd.

Sometimes after FW update, not all code is applied fully or possible that some older code doesn't get cleared out, or some older configurations don't work well with new FW code. Usually users don't have too reset, however it is a troubleshooting step. Seen many issues resolve after a reset and setup from scratch. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Got that from my cable company

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Need details of the modem please.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? - 3,400 sqft

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? around 30ft

What channels are you using? Yes Auto

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Neighbours using WiFI - 8-9 (but they are not using my wi-fi)

Nieghboring wifi can cause wifi interferences. Espeically if neighbors are using same channels which isn't recommended. 

Done all of those settings - with Beamforming etc.

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@scb4567 wrote:

The problem I have is Roku by default tries to connect to 5Ghz band. When I click "Allow" it allows it temporarily. I start streaming on Roku and then after 15 minutes streaming stops because Roku is trying to connect to the 5GhZ band and Orbi blocks it out.

Same thing on my brand new iPhone8 - tries to connect to 5GHz, I allow it. And after 15 minutes it goes back to being blocked on the 5GHZ band.

Can you please clarify (1) how to you administer the Orbi: web browser interface or smartphone app?  (2) Do you have Access Control turned on?  (3) Since these devices are likely to be present for a long time, have they been assigned IP addresses in the Advanced LAN Setup?

Just as an aside..... I am not aware that Orbi blocks devices "by band".  All I see is by MAC address.

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
scb4567
Aspirant

I was able to do a factory reset of the router last night and now everything works.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Great. Please mark your post as solved so other will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7