Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Route internal IP range to web proxy

dunogod
Aspirant

Route internal IP range to web proxy

Hello Experts,

I have a situation where one of my family members has become rather astute at using VPNs to circumvent the controls that I've put in place to block them from accessing certain sites, ports and protocols.  Because I have other family members who are allowed through certain ports, I can't block, say Port 443 as I need it for VPN into my job from time to time...and the said family member also needs access to that port for online school.

That said, I've ordered a Raspberry Pi 3B+ to act as a web proxy between my RBR50 (FW v2.2.1.210) and my Xfinity cable modem.  However, I only want a specific IP range to be routed through this proxy 24/7/365.  How do I go about doing that?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe you'll need to configure the interconnecting device, ie. Raspberry Pi for this and then configure the Orbi for AP mode and let the Pi do all the IP and routing handling. 

I would contact the Pi Mfr and present this to them to ensure there product can support what your asking. 

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@dunogod wrote:

I have a situation where one of my family members has become rather astute at using VPNs to circumvent the controls that I've put in place to block them from accessing certain sites, ports and protocols. 

Why not using Circle with Disney and block VPN usage for the family member?

Message 3 of 6
dunogod
Aspirant

I do.  Doesn't work for most VPN services as the Circle service relies on blacklists maintained by Disney which the VPN providers circumvent by changing IPs...frequently.

Message 4 of 6
dunogod
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I believe you'll need to configure the interconnecting device, ie. Raspberry Pi for this and then configure the Orbi for AP mode and let the Pi do all the IP and routing handling. 

I would contact the Pi Mfr and present this to them to ensure there product can support what your asking. 

@FURRYe38, what do you think about setting the DNS to the RPi and having the RPi determine if the IP making the request needs to have whitelist rules applied?  If not, the request is passed through to the cable modem (gateway)?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask the Pi mfr if this is possible. They should know. Let us know what you find out. 

@dunogod wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@FURRYe38, what do you think about setting the DNS to the RPi and having the RPi determine if the IP making the request needs to have whitelist rules applied?  If not, the request is passed through to the cable modem (gateway)?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7