Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Ethernet Much Slower than Modem

WarriorStrong99
Aspirant

Router Ethernet Much Slower than Modem

Router Much Slower than Modem

Some quick information:
- 500mbps Internet plan
- ROUTER: Orbi RBR20 with 2 satellites near each other running at 50% transmission power (quite a small house).
- MODEM: Netgear CM1150v Docsis 3.1
- SWITCH: 8-port gigabit TP-Link (TL-SG108).
- Speed test done mainly through testmy.net

MODEM — no more than 38 feet cat 5e Ethernet —> ORBI ROUTER — pretty damn long cat5e cable, much longer than the one that connects the modem to the router —> SWITCH.

So I connected my computer to the modem directly and got around 480mbps each time. When I connect directly to the switch, which is connected to the Orbi router, I get 320mbps directly on the main router and roughly the same on the satellites (test done through PS5). Furthermore, WiFi drops me down to 120mbps.

What could be the issue? Is it normal to not get the same Ethernet speed when connected to a switch connected to the main Orbi router compared to directly to the modem?

Edit: I brought the Orbi router where the modem is and used a roughly 10 in shorter cat5e cable. I connected that to the Orbi router with that cable. I then connected the desktop computer with the same cable I used to connect it to the modem where I got 480mbps to the Orbi router. I got roughly 300 mbps so no change from before (actually speeds were worse lol).

Looking at the Orbi configurations:
- MU-MIMO = off
- Fast roaming = off
- Implicit beamforming = off
- Guest network = off
- 2.4ghz = auto
- 5ghz = somewhere in the 40s

I do have a smart home system with Zigbee being the main + a raspberry pi. The recent test with the computer directly linked to the Orbi router without the switch did not have the switch installed (zigbee system and such are all connected through there).
Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router Ethernet Much Slower than Modem

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC connected directly to the back of the RBR and a web browser. I would also not enable Armor, Access Controls, Circle or Traffic Meter after completing the setup wizard. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7